+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntable change

I'm Mike.

Yep £5k is a lot to spend on a TT when cheaper and potentially more noticeable sound improvements will be had from a better arm and cart, i don't play 45's, but I can't imagine you'd play a 45 then a 33 then another 45 and so on, yes moving the belt can be a faff on but I know I'd be able to live with a bit of inconvenience if I knew I could get better sound improvements for spending less

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Yep £5k is a lot to spend on a TT when cheaper and potentially more noticeable sound improvements will be had from a better arm and cart, i don't play 45's, but I can't imagine you'd play a 45 then a 33 then another 45 and so on, yes moving the belt can be a faff on but I know I'd be able to live with a bit of inconvenience if I knew I could get better sound improvements for spending less
    Changing speed is a pain, but not the main, also lots of new vinyl 45rpm, interesting one dealer has suggested the biggest improvement would turntable upgrade not arm or cartridge
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    Changing speed is a pain, but not the main, also lots of new vinyl 45rpm, interesting one dealer has suggested the biggest improvement would turntable upgrade not arm or cartridge
    Was he trying to sell you a new TT? I can't understand any other reason he'd say that considering the deck you already have. You said you have a Rega arm but you haven't said which one if it's an 250 or 300, get a new Audiomods Series 6 for £800 and i guarantee you'll hear the difference

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Wayne.

... interesting one dealer has suggested the biggest improvement would turntable upgrade not arm or cartridge
    Which TT was he trying to sell you?

New arm and cart is a good shout for your existing deck, but if you’re really looking for the thrill of a completely new deck then you’ve got a lot of choice at your budget level.

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Was he trying to sell you a new TT? I can't understand any other reason he'd say that considering the deck you already have. You said you have a Rega arm but you haven't said which one if it's an 250 or 300, get a new Audiomods Series 6 for £800 and i guarantee you'll hear the difference
    I think the arm is a 250 which I had upgraded but Audio Origami a year or so back. Happy to look at upgrading arm and cartridge.
    To be fair he was suggesting another turntable in the Nottingham range.
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

I'm Lee.

Ive been pondering the same idea as yourself for quite a while, currently use a NAS Spacedeck with heavy platter, I recently changed the arm from a Jelco 750D which is no slouch to a Fidelity Research FR64s and the difference is quite noticeable to say the least. Last year I had a loan of a J Sikora TT with Kuzma arm, although it was a really nice deck I felt that the difference between the Spacedeck and Sikora was not worth me spending the extra money for this combination.

Ive still got an inclination to change my Spacedeck in the future and have considered the Dais for quite a while. I also had the pleasure of Ollie (Bigman) bring his SP10 round to the house which is also well worth considering. If you are staying with Nottingham decks and are moving up the food chain then you will still have the problem of belt changing unless you buy a Project speed controller, that said I am not sure if the Project works on the Dais as it comes supplied with the Martin Bastin speed controller as standard.

For the amount of money that your looking to spend then there are many many options to be had, as Jim pointed out the VPI is an attractive option and one deck Id like to hear myself at some point in the future as Ive not really heard one, also consider a Thorens TD124 with the Schopper upgrades, a Lenco PTP is another option and a deck which has currently been pointed out to myself but costs a bit more and might be worth saving the extra for is the new Kuzma Stabi R, these are reported to be awesome decks but I am yet to hear one for myself.

Very best

Lee
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm David.

What about trying a Technics SL1200G, approx. £3000, excellent sound and hassle free according to reviews on various forums.

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Henley View Post
    Ive been pondering the same idea as yourself for quite a while, currently use a NAS Spacedeck with heavy platter, I recently changed the arm from a Jelco 750D which is no slouch to a Fidelity Research FR64s and the difference is quite noticeable to say the least. Last year I had a loan of a J Sikora TT with Kuzma arm, although it was a really nice deck I felt that the difference between the Spacedeck and Sikora was not worth me spending the extra money for this combination.

Ive still got an inclination to change my Spacedeck in the future and have considered the Dais for quite a while. I also had the pleasure of Ollie (Bigman) bring his SP10 round to the house which is also well worth considering. If you are staying with Nottingham decks and are moving up the food chain then you will still have the problem of belt changing unless you buy a Project speed controller, that said I am not sure if the Project works on the Dais as it comes supplied with the Martin Bastin speed controller as standard.

For the amount of money that your looking to spend then there are many many options to be had, as Jim pointed out the VPI is an attractive option and one deck Id like to hear myself at some point in the future as Ive not really heard one, also consider a Thorens TD124 with the Schopper upgrades, a Lenco PTP is another option and a deck which has currently been pointed out to myself but costs a bit more and might be worth saving the extra for is the new Kuzma Stabi R, these are reported to be awesome decks but I am yet to hear one for myself.

Very best

Lee
    Thanks Lee, was considering moving up the Nottingham chain however there are no Scottish stockists, which is not great. My nearest hifi dealers are in Glasgow, one is a Linn, Rega, VPI stockist, the other one has the likes of Michell, Origin Live Brinkmann plus others.
    I would be happy to buy used if it was mint.
    Not hear a Thorens for a number of years too be honest.
    £5k is my maximum budget and too be honest would prefer to spent round £4K.
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    What about trying a Technics SL1200G, approx. £3000, excellent sound and hassle free according to reviews on various forums.

Thanks David, will have a look for stockists near me.
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

I'm Lee.

Thanks Lee, was considering moving up the Nottingham chain however there are no Scottish stockists, which is not great. My nearest hifi dealers are in Glasgow, one is a Linn, Rega, VPI stockist, the other one has the likes of Michell, Origin Live Brinkmann plus others.
    I would be happy to buy used if it was mint.
    Not hear a Thorens for a number of years too be honest.
    £5k is my maximum budget and too be honest would prefer to spent round £4K.
    Ive heard good things about Brinkmann but am yet to hear one myself in my system. My advice with your local dealers would be to take your turntable in the car and compare it to the ones in the dealership just to give you a flavour of where your current set up stands against higher level competition
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast