+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Turntable change

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsondonkey View Post
    What are you particularly interested in, as in what will drive your decision? You've mentioned easy speed change but are there any other features or aspects that you value? DD or belt drive, or not bothered? Preference in looks, ie rectangle plinth or some other design? Wood or metal? Any particular arm design or length?
    I don’t really have any preferences, DD or Best drive either would be fine, not overly bothered on looks although I obviously like the Nottingham stuff, do like Michell but none of this really matters, what is important is ease of use, once set up stays set up, easy speed change would be nice but I have lived without it for several years now. The most important thing is the sound that I hear from my album collection, which is somewhere around 2000 currently.
    The first and most important function of my hifi is providing me with music to enjoy.
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    A new suggestion has been Avid Diva II SP turntable, which looks interesting.
    I understand you can also upgrade to a better bearing from one of their more expensive tt's.

I'm Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    I understand you can also upgrade to a better bearing from one of their more expensive tt's.
    Aah, but we've been told by one of our experts to buy a product that shouldn't need upgrading.....not my opinion of course.

I'm Adrian.

I don’t really have any preferences, DD or Best drive either would be fine, not overly bothered on looks although I obviously like the Nottingham stuff, do like Michell but none of this really matters, what is important is ease of use, once set up stays set up, easy speed change would be nice but I have lived without it for several years now. The most important thing is the sound that I hear from my album collection, which is somewhere around 2000 currently.
    The first and most important function of my hifi is providing me with music to enjoy.
    Below is a list of very well thought of TT’s from a very well respected hi-end dealer and a gentleman who also has a vast knowledge and experience of hifi and has owned many of these. I moved to a Voyd as a result.

"1. Voyd great dynamics and bass slams and openness

2. Technics sp10 for sence of space and foundation and great imaging

3. Garrard 401 audio grail with a russ collinson cherry plinth prefferably with sme m12r or the timestep arm this would give superb grip over the music and superb timing with real good bass. the sme Iv will also do well

4. Nottingham analogue hyperspace for sence of grip with great bass and speed to boot.

5. Townshend rock reference hard to find but a real stunner in terms of performance i dont think u will find one but worth a mention.

6. Alphason sonata hr100 mcs fantastic midrange and vibrancy brilliant bass performance/"

I recently purchase a Voyd Voyd that a in NM condition, paired it with my SME IV and Michel Cusis mc(Benz Micro Wood S based) and it sounds natural very engaging, great bottom end, wonderful mids, lots of detail in top end, lovely soundstage. A good Voyd Voyd is £1500. I believed eve the Voyd 0.5 Reference has more control but. Will set you back around £4K and the Reference about £6k, if you can find one.

If I had the money I would buy either a Voyd Reference or a Townsend Rock Reference, I can point you in the direction of someone who may be able to help on the Rock front. If you want to try out a Voyd then I know of a very nice one coming up for sale. One the arm front probably a SME IV or carefully selected SME V, or a Graham Phantom, or one that was known to work well with TT and choice of cartridge.

By the way you do not need to spend vast amounts to get a very musical sounding combination IMO, although a Rock may push the budget a bit.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

The Voyd was my choice also, but having previously owned one, it was an easy decision for me.
    I think the only way to make the right choice is for the OP to go and have a listen to at least a few of the decks he's interested in.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Below is a list of very well thought of TT’s from a very well respected hi-end dealer and a gentleman who also has a vast knowledge and experience of hifi and has owned many of these. I moved to a Voyd as a result.

"1. Voyd great dynamics and bass slams and openness

2. Technics sp10 for sence of space and foundation and great imaging

3. Garrard 401 audio grail with a russ collinson cherry plinth prefferably with sme m12r or the timestep arm this would give superb grip over the music and superb timing with real good bass. the sme Iv will also do well

4. Nottingham analogue hyperspace for sence of grip with great bass and speed to boot.

5. Townshend rock reference hard to find but a real stunner in terms of performance i dont think u will find one but worth a mention.

6. Alphason sonata hr100 mcs fantastic midrange and vibrancy brilliant bass performance/"

I recently purchase a Voyd Voyd that a in NM condition, paired it with my SME IV and Michel Cusis mc(Benz Micro Wood S based) and it sounds natural very engaging, great bottom end, wonderful mids, lots of detail in top end, lovely soundstage. A good Voyd Voyd is £1500. I believed eve the Voyd 0.5 Reference has more control but. Will set you back around £4K and the Reference about £6k, if you can find one.

If I had the money I would buy either a Voyd Reference or a Townsend Rock Reference, I can point you in the direction of someone who may be able to help on the Rock front. If you want to try out a Voyd then I know of a very nice one coming up for sale. One the arm front probably a SME IV or carefully selected SME V, or a Graham Phantom, or one that was known to work well with TT and choice of cartridge.

By the way you do not need to spend vast amounts to get a very musical sounding combination IMO, although a Rock may push the budget a bit.
    Many thanks Adrian, agree with many of your points, I have in the past heard most of the decks you have mentioned apart from a modified Technics.
    I owned an Elite Rock in the past and have heard the Townsend Rock so well aware of the sound produced. I have also heard a Voyd in the past not sure which model it was though.
    Auditioning new turntables is something I will be doing in the coming weeks and quite like the look of the Avid diva but not heard one yet.
    I would be interested also in a Voyd or Rock however I would prefer to collect my purchase so that would depend on the current location, I will not be buying anything I have not listened to.
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    The Voyd was my choice also, but having previously owned one, it was an easy decision for me.
    I think the only way to make the right choice is for the OP to go and have a listen to at least a few of the decks he's interested in.

Would like to audition a Voyd, finding one is the issue.
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Would like to audition a Voyd, finding one is the issue.
    Yes, they don't come up very often, Might be worth asking Simon of SJS, he might know of any for sale.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Adrian.

Many thanks Adrian, agree with many of your points, I have in the past heard most of the decks you have mentioned apart from a modified Technics.
    I owned an Elite Rock in the past and have heard the Townsend Rock so well aware of the sound produced. I have also heard a Voyd in the past not sure which model it was though.
    Auditioning new turntables is something I will be doing in the coming weeks and quite like the look of the Avid diva but not heard one yet.
    I would be interested also in a Voyd or Rock however I would prefer to collect my purchase so that would depend on the current location, I will not be buying anything I have not listened to.
    I will chat with the person that owns the Voyd I know of to see if there is a way of you hearing it. Am I correct that you live in Scotland. It may be possible for you to try at your home, but cannot promise anything, ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I will chat with the person that owns the Voyd I know of to see if there is a way of you hearing it. Am I correct that you live in Scotland. It may be possible for you to try at your home, but cannot promise anything, ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Many thanks

I am about 25 miles down river from Glasgow.
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast