+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Turntable change

I'm Lee.

Another option to consider would be to keep the turntable you have, change the arm for something better this does make quite a bit of difference in my opinion and change the phono stage again for something better for the budget that you have you can get quite a serious package
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I've no doubt you're absolutely right about the SP10 Oliver, but I would have thought that a well fettled one would be beyond his budget, and I get the impression he wouldn't want to buy an affordable example then have months/years of modding it. Rather he wants it to be all the deck he would need from day one.

Doesn't Robbiegong have an SL1210 Mk 5 for sale? I bet that would be the dog's danglies and well inside budget.
    A well fettled SP10 MK2 can be had for around £1.5k, if you know who to ask. The OP may want it refinished with a powder coating so £200 max for that.

Tenuto Platter mat for £300ish leaves around £2K for a nice arm.

Personally, I'd go for the PMAT1010 which is well within budget but if the Op wanted An SME5, it's not impossible to do for the money.

Yes, you may have to put a bit of effort in but I'd be very surprised if it's not the best performance for the money.

I'm Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Henley View Post
    Another option to consider would be to keep the turntable you have, change the arm for something better this does make quite a bit of difference in my opinion and change the phono stage again for something better for the budget that you have you can get quite a serious package
    This. I changed the arm on my NAS Interspace Jr from RB300 to a Jelco 750D and there were stark differences; this with a comparatively piffling budget. With the amount of money you are talking, you could keep the player and swap the arm out for a really great arm.

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I've no doubt you're absolutely right about the SP10 Oliver, but I would have thought that a well fettled one would be beyond his budget, and I get the impression he wouldn't want to buy an affordable example then have months/years of modding it. Rather he wants it to be all the deck he would need from day one.

Doesn't Robbiegong have an SL1210 Mk 5 for sale? I bet that would be the dog's danglies and well inside budget.
    You’re right Steve, I am looking at a finished article I’m not looking down the constant modifications path.
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    A well fettled SP10 MK2 can be had for around £1.5k, if you know who to ask. The OP may want it refinished with a powder coating so £200 max for that.

Personally, I'd go for the PMAT1010 which is well within budget but if the Op wanted An SME5, it's not impossible to do for the money.

Yes, you may have to put a bit of effort in but I'd be very surprised if it's not the best performance for the money.
    Thanks Oli, if that could all be obtained from the one source, then it would be something I would consider. I like to keep things simple, going along and listen preferably within a decent driving distance, if I like I buy.
    I really want to source from the one place.
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post

This doesn't look bad either Oli. Sorry Robin, along way from Scotland. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denon-DP-...n/333195461535
    Last edited by antonio; 22-05-2019 at 08:11. Reason: Spelling

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    This doesn't look bad either Oli. Sorry Steve, along way from Scotland. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denon-DP-...n/333195461535
    That's a great shout. Needs a better arm to get the best out of it.

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    This doesn't look bad either Oli. Sorry Robin, along way from Scotland. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denon-DP-...n/333195461535
    Many thanks David, but I will be collecting the turntable I purchase, so would only buy from eBay if it’s was available for collection, and I would like hear the the turntable as well.
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

I'm Robin.

A new suggestion has been Avid Diva II SP turntable, which looks interesting.
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

I'm Wayne.

What are you particularly interested in, as in what will drive your decision? You've mentioned easy speed change but are there any other features or aspects that you value? DD or belt drive, or not bothered? Preference in looks, ie rectangle plinth or some other design? Wood or metal? Any particular arm design or length?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast