+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Music is playing again after a long hiatus. Vinyl, Reel to Reel, and Digital!

I'm Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Photo makes it look like they are deeper than the width but the tape measure doesn't lie.
    Why does it have a badge with dirty weekend
    Dirty Weekend is a model they offer randomly a few times a year in very limited numbers for a weekend.... then to make them an OMEN MKII there is a clarity cap, internal wire, and extra bracing upgrade (which these have). Doing it that way saves around 1,000.00USD. It's just that the dirty weekend's sell out so fast (usually within a few hours) that its often easier to buy the much pricier OMEN MKII badged speakers that are always available.

I'm Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    So which is your favourite system then Charles? I'm going to guess it's the one with the Altecs.
    The room one setup is a room that I am always trying new gear and it is so much fun. Room two with Altec's is a room that hasn't changed much in years and is what I use to judge a lot of other gear.

I'm Charles.

The Plinius 8200 "Galbo Designs Ultimate Mod) just got an ever better upgrade which I now truly consider the "Ultimate". The previously installed Bennic caps were really really good but these new Auricap XO caps will be even better!

Old caps

New caps

I'm Charles.

Enjoying the Plinius as an amp this weekend after the Auricap upgrade. So far it's sounding nice.
    Last edited by charles hidalgo; 02-06-2019 at 02:45.

I'm Justin.

Ever tried the Altecs in room 1? Would have thought the dispersion of the speaker would suit the larger space, and the Zus would be better in room 2?

Nice setups BTW.

I'm Charles.

Flea power EL84 homebrew/bottlhead build in the mix finally and all I can say is WOW.... these Zu Audio speakers are really loving this amp. 6 watts of SEP magic.

I'm Charles.

Started on a massive upgrade path on most of my gear (critical components and signal path internals) a few months back and every tube amp, and the main Plinius preamp are all upgraded to their fullest as of last week. Things sound so amazing!

Foreplay preamp built and upgraded for a living room system in the works.
    Last edited by charles hidalgo; 11-06-2019 at 20:44.

I'm Charles.

Having a great experience with the Decware SuperZen SE84CKC in the system. 2wpc and it is truly sounding really good with stock tubes!!The SuperZen uses a single EL84/6BQ5 output tube per channel. It is also compatible with the Russian SV83 and the premium Russian 6P15P-EB extended life tubes. Russian NOS military grade 6N1P-EV are currently being used for input, and alternately you can use 6922’s and which are a touch less warm but slightly more dynamic. Using 6DJ8’s is an option as well. As for rectifier tubes 274B, 5Y3GT, 5U4, and 5AR4 are options. The 5AR4 is an indirectly heated rectifier with a soft start up so it may be a bit more expensive than the 5Y3GT and 5U4.
    A popular rectifier tube that many people try to substitute is the 274B which is what I currently have installed. Time for some tube rolling this week.

Last edited by charles hidalgo; 24-07-2019 at 04:57.

I'm Wayne.

Stunning set ups each one in their own right, congrats.

Churlish to pick out any item but I do love open reel so I'm impressed by your Otari, looks in lovely condition too.

I'm Charles.

Default Bucket list amp is finally here and in my system. James Burgess 45/2a3

Thanks to my good friend James Burgess one of my dream amps was personally delivered last night and is making beautiful music in my home. It's a custom 45/2A3 S.E.T. amp from James (1wpc and 3wpc respectively) with output transformers built especially for this project by Jack Elliano. The chassis is from a 1936 Wurlitzer jukebox. We hooked it up last night and I am glad James only lives 30 minutes from me because he's not often able to listen to his wonderful amplifiers in the customers home systems only in his shop before shipping them out worldwide so this was a treat for both of us. I will just say that it was a moment that did not disappoint. I have known James for over 13 years now and I am very happy to have really got to know him as a person as well as having a chance to own his beautiful creations.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast