+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Music is playing again after a long hiatus. Vinyl, Reel to Reel, and Digital!

I'm Chris.

Thinks……have we progressed far-speaker-wise -since(say) 1975?
    Oldies still sounding great.
    Chris.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by charles hidalgo View Post
    I forgot to mention the gear as I was asked.

GPA 604-8H-III
    GPA N604-8C Crossover
    John Anderson Stonhenge 5 Cabinets in American Walnut
    James Burgess 45 tube amp
    Audio-GD HE-1 MKII
    Schitt Loki Maxx
    HiFi Rose RS150B DAC
    Technics SP-10, ATP arm, Denon carts
    Teac A-3340 S Reel to Reel
    Klipsch subwoofers

Interesting you went for an Audio Gd Pre when they are best known for their DACs, how is it and did you try one of their DACs as well? I've got 4 of their DACs but no amps.

I'm Charles.

Amps/Speakers change frequently for auditioning but I'm happy to say the core system and pictured speakers are my main reference setup.

GIK, Real Traps, and Vicoustic, treated room:

GPA 604-8H-III

GPA N604-8C Crossover

John Anderson custom Stonehenge 5 Cabinets in American Walnut

Decware Mini Torii II

Audio-GD HE-1 MKII

Schitt Loki Maxx

HiFi Rose RS150B DAC

Technics SP-10, ATP12T 10" arm, Denon stereo/mono carts

Softone phono pre

Teac A-3340 S Reel to Reel

SVS/Klipsch subwoofers

I'm Charles.

A brief audio journey through photos.

I'm Grant.

some great gear on show for sure, and a lot of moneys' worth too. great youve got these memories charles
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Charles.

Currently:
    Decware Mini Torii with 5933/807w tubes
    Schiit Freya+ with Tung Sol 6sn7 tubes
    Schiit Loki Max
    HiFi Rose RS150B Streamer/DAC
    GPA 604-8H III Jon Anderson designed Stonehenge V cabinets
    GPA matching crossovers
    TEAC and Otari tape machines
    SVS Pro 1000 12" subs
    Nordost Blue Heaven cables

Everything from 30hz to the supertweeters is fully on the fly adjustable from the listening position. Things just float around the room in a sometimes 360 degree audio presentation that disappears into a wall of sound that is deeper and wider by far than the actual dimensions of the room. It is the best audio I personally have heard. Organic, natural, unbloated, and just head bobbing/toe tapping audio joy.

Last edited by charles hidalgo; 28-04-2023 at 10:20.

I'm Gary.

Great system Charles, love it.

Did you compare the Hifi Rose streamer to Aurender, Lumin, Melco etc. before buying?
    Obviously you have one, so you like it.

but I’m interested in your opinion of it as a digital source (no Dac or preamp function), if I can ask?

thanks.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Great system Charles, love it.

Did you compare the Hifi Rose streamer to Aurender, Lumin, Melco etc. before buying?
    Obviously you have one, so you like it.

but I’m interested in your opinion of it as a digital source (no Dac or preamp function), if I can ask?

thanks.
    Hello. Yes I have several including a few Aurender models. In fact the HiFiRose replaced an Aurender with a Teac dac and external 10mhz clock. I had that combo for almost two years and it was hard to beat but the Rose for me was a huge leap in a positive way. I have never liked the sound of a dac/streamer or similar going directly to an amp but I did live with my Rose to the decware amp and it was the best that I had heard without a preamp. It has adjustable output voltages in the software to help match for just a situation. Many like the screen on the Rose also and I agree it's again the best display I have ever seen period but most of the time I turn it off which is a great feature. It has very cool VU meters recreated digitally from classic gear which is really neat visually but again I'm not a big flashy person and the display is off most of the time.

I'm Lawrence.

I do like smart and discreet components but I'm flashy when it comes to meters!

I'm Charles.

If looking then I can highly recommend the rose. It checked all the boxes and more for me. It's so good in here now I might put a drop down screen back in just to watch videos on the Rose. 4k hdmi and Rose compiles playlists in high resolution audio also for the ultimate in viewing and listening in true hifi. It has a selection of VU meters as I said and clocks also with weather, time, temp etc. It does more than I use but it's fun when one wants to flashy like you said.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast