+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Music is playing again after a long hiatus. Vinyl, Reel to Reel, and Digital!

I'm Charles.

First phase of room treatments are being experimented with. Full 8 foot corner traps , and cloud panels are on their way soon. These are 8" thick GIK monster traps with the optional scatter plates.

I'm Charles.

The 20x24 room was very "live" and had some big low frequency spikes in a few areas areas. The traps smoothed them out dramatically and mid range benefited greatly with imaging and clarity really improving as a result of a less "muddy" and sometimes "boomy" bass. The room also has a tile floor so it was in need of absorption even though I added a few area rugs most thins like blankets and rugs etc are really not doing much if anything. The panels also have the optional scatter plates for diffusion so they absorb as much bass as possible without disturbing or over-absorbing the high end, which leaves life inside the room. I chose the very thick traps with the diffusion plates as they absorb up to 50% more low frequency (below 60Hz) and retains 75% more high end (from 400Hz and above). The room still needs some very thick shag carpeting as the small area rugs covering only about a third of the tile floor I have down are very thin.

I'm Charles.

Full room treatment finally has been complete for a while now.

50TB’s of High resolution files up to 512 DSD through modified Teac 501 with Time Machine X10 external clock, idler drive, belt drive, and direct drive turntables, Otari, Studer, and Teac reel to reel machines for 15ips master and safety copies-Radu Tarta preamp with 101d tubes selected-James Burgess 45, 46, 2a3, and 6bq5 type amplifiers -custom 104db efficient horn speakers with 2” Eliptrac 400 wooden horns, tweeters, crites cast woofers, and custom ALK crossovers.

This system has real synergy and is sounding amazing!

I'm Chris.

Lovely horns. But you've had several! And with supertweeters? Have you noticed the weird factor that supertweeters make the bass better?
    Chris.

I'm Charles.

Years of patience has finally paid off. Custom built amps, preamp, and speakers rounded out the rest of the components and the full room treatment was long overdue. Only thing still in the works are a couple turntables that are getting full restorations.

I'm Charles.

One of the TD-124 tables is together and though not fully restored as it could be it is enough that it's running great! The other ( with a black plinth, Ortofon RMG-212 tonearm, and Ortofon S 15-M/T both rebuilt to new standards) will be put in the system once everything returns from STS. It's time for a custom rack for the tables.

I'm Charles.

Hello Chris. I'm not sure I have as of yet but I'm going to be playing with that when I have more time.I added the tweeters around the same time I finished up my room treatments which made everything better. So I will be doing listening soon without then again with the tweeters to compare.

I'm Charles.

Finally all together and in the system. Greg Metz STS modified Thorens TD124 MKII, rewired Ortofon RMG212 tonearm, with an Andy Kim Needle Clinic rebuilt and retipped Ortofon S15-T MC cartridge with a linear contact diamond tip, and aluminium cantilever. The Ray Brown Trio had the honor of first play.and it didn’t disappoint.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by charles hidalgo View Post
    Hello Chris. I'm not sure I have as of yet but I'm going to be playing with that when I have more time.I added the tweeters around the same time I finished up my room treatments which made everything better. So I will be doing listening soon without then again with the tweeters to compare.
    Depends on how old your ears are! My Opera Consonance M15-24th Anniversary horns have tweeter that comes in at 18Khz, so I'll never know if it works! (Bass is good though!)
    Chris.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by charles hidalgo View Post
    Finally all together and in the system. Greg Metz STS modified Thorens TD124 MKII, rewired Ortofon RMG212 tonearm, with an Andy Kim Needle Clinic rebuilt and retipped Ortofon S15-T MC cartridge with a linear contact diamond tip, and aluminium cantilever. The Ray Brown Trio had the honor of first play.and it didn’t disappoint.
    Lovely looking Thorens/Ortofon combination. I have one with an Ortofon 309i 12" arm.

I also have an Ortofon S-15T, which I would like to re-tip.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast