+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Music is playing again after a long hiatus. Vinyl, Reel to Reel, and Digital!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    Having got the lights......you need a listening chair?
    https://www.hifiwigwam.com/threads/n...g-seat.112130/
    Pity we're so far away!
    Hi Chris, I wish I had purchased it from you when you offered it to me when I was there, never mind.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Well they look impressive and very nicely made! I was a bit shocked at the driver cost, but I bet they will sound good. Be interesting to see what you think when finished and bedded in.
    Ive owned these drivers in the version II and I have had several Altec, Urei, Pas, and similar duplex/coaxial speakers over the years. I didn't have the cabinets nor crossovers to do them justice at the time so they were traded. This build is a final build situation for me and my high efficiency quest of over 40 years of trial, error, and in between some success. These will be on my flea powered SET amps and the other CSS speakers in my late photos will be my solid state setup. This is 40 years of listening being summed up in what will be my permanent speaker setup. There will always be trials Im sure as its in the blood but these are my dream builds done exactly the way I wanted. I feel so fortunate. I was going to keep my PAS/Altec 620 builds (rosewood and maple in many previous posts) but I cannot keep everything and these GPA drivers are in my opinion the best of the best and I own several original Altec versions. Again it is in my blood as seen here in Japan circa 1970.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by charles hidalgo View Post
    Ive owned these drivers in the version II and I have had several Altec, Urei, Pas, and similar duplex/coaxial speakers over the years. I didn't have the cabinets nor crossovers to do them justice at the time so they were traded. This build is a final build situation for me and my high efficiency quest of over 40 years of trial, error, and in between some success. These will be on my flea powered SET amps and the other CSS speakers in my late photos will be my solid state setup. This is 40 years of listening being summed up in what will be my permanent speaker setup. There will always be trials Im sure as its in the blood but these are my dream builds done exactly the way I wanted. I feel so fortunate. I was going to keep my PAS/Altec 620 builds (rosewood and maple in many previous posts) but I cannot keep everything and these GPA drivers are in my opinion the best of the best and I own several original Altec versions. Again it is in my blood as seen here in Japan circa 1970.

Absolutely great pic
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Chris.

Do Great Plains provide the design for the box as well?
    Is it sealed, or open backed?
    Despite the size i'd bet it works well at low volume as well.
    Chris.

I'm Charles.

It is a Stonehenge design. Bottom ported. Amazing low level detail.
    Last edited by charles hidalgo; 01-02-2023 at 15:13.

I'm Chris.

Thanks Charles.
    Did some research, though it just made me wish we had a few over here in UK.
    After owning Klipschorns, I'm not afraid of big boxes!
    Chris.

I'm Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    Thanks Charles.
    Did some research, though it just made me wish we had a few over here in UK.
    After owning Klipschorns, I'm not afraid of big boxes!
    I totally understand...

I'm Charles.

Stretching their legs with some SS power then its in the main room with tubes.

I'm Charles.

BIG day today. Huge for me! Jon Anderson built Altec Stonhenges will be in the main room. I feel like I did in around 1976 when I got to put my dad's system gear in my room. One last photo from his room of the final versions. They are stunning in person. Just drop dead stunning!

I'm James.

They do look fantastic Charles and I can imagine they produce a BIG sound!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast