+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Calling all/any Garrard experts/historians ... looking for info on Garrard type V

lordmortlock Guest

Default Calling all/any Garrard experts/historians ... looking for info on Garrard type V

A mate of mine is super into pre 50’s culture and music. He’s come across this on his travels

What must be the worlds first pair of decks :-)

An online search for Garrard type V brings up next to nothing. Does anyone out there know anything about this model? Any info would be great.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

It was a 'direct drive' turntable, with the motor using a governor mechanism for speed stability. The pickup arm used a crystal transducer.

It was not uncommon to use two turntables when playing 78s - a typical symphony would occupy 3 or 4 discs and were often arranged so that consecutive sides were on separate discs, so one could be set up whilst the first was playing etc.
    Barry

lordmortlock Guest

That’s interesting, thanks Barry.

When are we talking? 1930s?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmortlock View Post
    That’s interesting, thanks Barry.

When are we talking? 1930s?
    Probably 1930s to early '40s. Before my time!

Some more images of the record player here: https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...ic.php?t=98841.
    Barry

lordmortlock Guest

Ha - that’s the same chap looking for this info!

Anyone know any retired Garrard engineers who might remember these? The owner is really keen to have as much info as possible.

+ Reply to Thread