+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: isolation blocks

I'm Laurie.

The tripod thing has been used by vertex for years,not sure of science but it has an effect , sandboxes again bright star been doing expensive versions for years.

I'm John.

Things have evolved in my investigations, where there is now a footer device being used that has a very noticeable effect on the SQ of a TT.
    The noticed improvement is in certain cases difficult to fathom, especially when a known and working footer set up is side lined with immediate effect, once this one has been put into service as a footer.
    IMHO compared to materials I am familiar with as footers, this device surpasses as a footer all materials in any combination used prior to the discovery of this latest device.
    The device now given the go to role as a Footer is the Solid Tech 'feet of silence'.
    The effect these have had on Idler Drive and Belt Drive in the systems they have been loaned to has been very well noted for the improvement.
    The footers have done extensive periods on loan, and are very much missed when returned.
    Placing them under a Loudspeakers Cabinet or Stand has had a very positive effect as well, even though in their present make up, they are not robust enough for certain speakers weights, they can still deliver a noticeable improvement in SQ.
    The most obvious effect on a speaker is how the Bass Cleans Up and the sound stage creates the perception that has a greater volume within the room.
    It is easy to prejudice this type of device if a solid grounded footing is the desired one.
    Having a TT or Speaker that is suspended on Rubber Rings that allow for a lateral movement, is very strange for a period of time.
    I would like to think that a more robust type was to become available, it would make a much better match for certain speakers carrying extra weight.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    another little tweak worth doing is sticking these under your turntables feet or between layers of wood. i noticed an improvement in decay straight away.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Karma,
    many thanks for sharing this idea. Have just ordered two packs of four. Hopefully a nice cheap upgrade.
    Chris

I'm Andre.

Ive used not the same brand but the same thing under a pair of Yamaha 'HS' Desktop active monitors.. They are common place in Home Keyboard studios..

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisph View Post
    Karma,
    many thanks for sharing this idea. Have just ordered two packs of four. Hopefully a nice cheap upgrade.
    Chris
    Well I thought I was ordering two packs of four but actually ordered just two. Doh! May cut them in half and see how that goes rather than order more.

I'm Ian.

Thought I had found these cheap at £3.42 each inc vat from airconspares but £8.99 shipping wacks the price up, I will keep looking

I'm Ian.

I think I might make my own, Garden Kneelers are made of EVA and cost about £1 each, stick on some ribbed neoprene and hey ho...

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    On the first replay, following the last combination of materials foot being put into use, there was a immediate audible difference, Bass was much more clean,taught and cut off very precisely, I am sure there were other benefits offered as well, but maybe not so obvious.
    I am curious to learn if a certain type of tweak is beneficial to all, or whether they are room and stand dependent.
    Influences will be stand, room dependant(solid or suspended floor etc), the quality of isolation by the turntables feet, the material used in the plinth of the turntable and how well it is decoupled from the platter, and how well the arm is decoupled from the plinth if bolted to it. So many things will impact the isolation of vibrations getting to the stylus this as a whole.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Ian.

Cant say i noticed any sound improvement with my diy version. I did find the garden kneeling pads squashed easily but cured that with inverted cork place mats on top. There has been a noticable benefit in cooling though. Several of my devices run warm to hot. The extra gap below has lowered the case temperature. Just putting my hand on the cases i can feel the difference

I'm Dave.

I think the important message here is that you don't have to spend squillions of pounds on fancy equipment shelves and (possibly) over engineered adjustable feet and so on.

Everyone's equipment, listening room, mains quality, external environment and traffic vibration, means that you need to fine tune your own system with your own ears.

I like Soundeck's vibration absorbing discs and turntable mat, I also have a slab of granite under my valve amp, use bamboo butchers blocks and boards, and acrylic semispheres I have shipped over from Italy. I just found The Range stores are doing bamboo pastry boards very cheap if anyone wants to try some form of bamboo support. And I use hair clamps to stop cables touching each other and surfaces (A very cheap but easy way to improve system sound).

Experiment. It's very enlightening.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast