+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: isolation blocks

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    I forgot to include in my earlier post, the Sub Plinth was Maple that was supported by a Kiln Dried Sand Bed.
    The sand bed was set up, as a result of working with a CDP Isolation Platform.
    The method incorporated had the most positive effect on the CDP.
    I believe a very fine grade of sand was used, not sharp sand.
    Another way to make a sand bed for a Plinth is to cut open a bicycle inner tube, seal one end, pour in Kiln dried sand, and then seal the open end, this method has been used for to control vibration on Telescopes and Long Telephoto lenses. It will be totally stable, as the moisture level of the sand will be sealed, it will be more user friendly than a bed of sand exposed to the air.
    A really skilled type, where Hifi is concerned might be able to take this method a little further.
    Slit the inner tube carefully, insert a small funnel, add Kiln Dried Sand, reseal the tube with a puncture repair kit.
    Add a little inflation to the tube, or maybe that is taking it a little too far
    thats given me food for thought
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm David.

Jamie, have you tried bypassing the feet on your tt with wooden cones? I have my PTtoo on 4 wooden cones, sitting on a bamboo board with sorbothane between the board and the hifi stand. I have recently purchased a Technics SL150 and I am going to try 3 stillpoints (only have 3) and don't have any more cones, between the tt and bamboo board. My theory is to get rid of unwanted vibration in the tt, I may be talking nonsense though.

I'm Paul.

I think that either coupling or isolation can work but you have to find the correct way to do it. Unfortunately the calculations are quite difficult and I suspect even if you did them mass distribution across a tt is not usually very uniform, so most people just try different things until they find something that works.

I cast some silicone blocks and put them under the feet of my Garrard 401 that’s in a slate plinth. They’re soft-ish but not squidgy and they do isolate the tt from vibrations in the unit. Even opening and closing the doors of the unit don’t seem to effect playing at all.
    ~Paul~

I'm Mike.

Just ordered 4 of these, my flat is above a busy restaurant and there is an air conditioner unit on the side of my kitchen/living room wall, this emits some serious and I mean serious vibration.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Just ordered 4 of these, my flat is above a busy restaurant and there is an air conditioner unit on the side of my kitchen/living room wall, this emits some serious and I mean serious vibration.
    You should report that to your local council’s Environmental Health department and they should investigate and take action since something is clearly not right. Usually the problem with these things is noise impacting on nearby properties, but if the vibration is that bad, then noise is most likely unacceptable too.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    You should report that to your local council’s Environmental Health department and they should investigate and take action since something is clearly not right. Usually the problem with these things is noise impacting on nearby properties, but if the vibration is that bad, then noise is most likely unacceptable too.
    I thought about it, but I doubt there's anything the restaurant is doing that is illegal, mind you I did stuff an old shirt inbetween the extractors fluke and my wall, it helped a lot, another thing now is the smell due to overflowing bins, they'll do anything to save money. The thing with the council is that no immediate action can be taken, you have to keep a 'nuisance' diary and that is a chore in itself!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Laurie.

A cheap trick copied from several commercial designs, I have several sets of cones with adjustable\removable spikes. Take three, remove spikes on two and replace with a piece of rubber or cork. Place a trio of cones under kit, two blunt one spike. The spike acts as a ground point a la Goldmund or vertex, and with fine tuning of placement and material can be very efficacious.
    I swear by Stillpoints , the old component stands are superb under Kuzma pipebomb ,good value s\h

I'm Laurie.

Ps don’t mix and match diff approaches, Mixing muddles things. Elastomer style isolation to me is thick an slow, spikes just focus the prob. Air is great but can be pricey, I still have seismic sinks I made from shopper bike inner tubes and Mdf, i also like wooden blocks , very big in Japan, along with putting kit on floor.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Flo View Post
    A cheap trick copied from several commercial designs, I have several sets of cones with adjustable\removable spikes. Take three, remove spikes on two and replace with a piece of rubber or cork. Place a trio of cones under kit, two blunt one spike. The spike acts as a ground point a la Goldmund or vertex, and with fine tuning of placement and material can be very efficacious.
    I swear by Stillpoints , the old component stands are superb under Kuzma pipebomb ,good value s\h
    Surely a single hard point with two compliant contacts converts general vibratory lateral oscillation, as with three compliances, into arc movement to and fro radial to the axis created by the hard point? Is there a benefit?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yep a stylus is massively sensitive to all that stuff which is why doing pretty much anything to turntable setup will noticeably change the sound albeit not always for the better. I wouldn't bother with the hassle and expense of fitting a wall shelf though unless you have a suspended floor as walls still transmit vibrations.

I still reckon a sand tray has to be the ultimate in isolation. If you think about it, to transmit vibration through sand every single grain has to be set in motion.
    Well I think Martin you may be onto a very good solution there, I think I will be going to buy some kiln dried sand and the right size inner tube to fill with it to go under a platform.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast