+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How much vinyl is too much vinyl for an upstairs room?

I'm Nick.

haha good point Grant - when you put it that way... it's also not more than something like an upright piano which I wouldn't worry about putting in there, I suppose.

I'm Nick.

Macca I calc the weight per box as more like 15-22kg. 100 LPs at 150gm each... 100x150= 15,000gms or 15kgs.
    150 LPs per box would be approx 22kgs.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    Macca I calc the weight per box as more like 15-22kg. 100 LPs at 150gm each... 100x150= 15,000gms or 15kgs.
    150 LPs per box would be approx 22kgs.
    22 Kgs full i.e weight of box and LPs? Then your fine as 3 of them in a square metre is only 66 kilo. If my maths was right.

Grant has a point as in two big blokes stood in the same square metre could easily collapse the floor if it could only take 150KG.

With the WW2 Tiger Tank the way to determine if the ground ahead could take it was for one crewman to get on the back of another and then he had to stand on one leg. If he didn't sink in then the ground was firm enough to take the vehicle. I don't think they compensated the crews for any resulting spinal injuries but then they had better things to worry about I suppose.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

I don't know about Edwardian breaking strain specs but this house is very solidly built indeed, much more so than more modern places I've lived in - not a piece of plasterboard in sight, the whole thing is built of brick and solid timber.

Andy: I'm pretty hopeless at maths but the dimensions of the record storage unit are 48cm x 33cm and the footprint will be 4 of them in a row. Total weight estimated 225kg.

I calculate the footprint to be 0.63m2. 225 divided by 0.63 gives a result of 357.1kg/m2 or more than double the modern spec! Or have I made an error in my maths? (quite possible)
    Based on Andy's data "Domestic properties are designed for 1.5kN/m2 which works out to be 153kg/m2.

So work out the total weight of your lps and divide that number by the area the boxes occupy as a footprint plan on the floor and provided it does not exceed 153 then you need not worry."

A box 48cm by 33cm should hold about 100 records each record will weigh about 200gm (vinyl & sleeve) so 5 records will be 1kg, therefore 100 records on one of your boxes will be 20kg.

The floor area that each box takes up is 0.48m *0.33m which is 0.1584m2. So 6.31313131 boxes fit in a 1.0m2 of floor space, so the weight on the records occupying 1.0m2 will be around 6.313131 * 20kg = 126.262626kg. You need to add on the weight of 6 boxes.

So if my calculations are correct and your joists/floor meet Andy's specifications you have around 25kg spare (some will be used up by the storage box weight), bear in mind some records may be 180gm vinyl, if you have lots of old 78's then they will be heavier.

I think I have this correct, if not shout someone.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Grant.

fatties better not kiss in the upstairs of house or the earth will move only other thing to watch is that the floor wasnt originally a loft as joists are often not as thick. but they should have been replaced or strengthened if it had been
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    fatties better not kiss in the upstairs of house or the earth will move only other thing to watch is that the floor wasnt originally a loft as joists are often not as thick. but they should have been replaced or strengthened if it had been
    Loft joists are like matchsticks in my (1901) house. I daren't put anything up there.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Nick.

eek don't scare me, I didn't think of that... will have to check if 2nd floor was converted from loft space

I'm Adrian.

eek don't scare me, I didn't think of that... will have to check if 2nd floor was converted from loft space
    You might find this helpful https://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7485788_c...-capacity.html or get and engineer to work it out>. If the joists are less than 8 by 2 timbers then you definitely need to get it worked out to be safe, IMO.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Nick.

OK well I had a loose floorboard up to take a look underneath - the joists look pretty solid to me, they are 3x9 inches more or less I would say, and heavy timber. They run across the room at right angles to the proposed shelves, which would therefore be supported over several joists.

IMG_2301w.jpg

I'm Nick.

They look exactly the same as the joists in the 1st floor bedroom floors, so not loft joists I would think.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast