+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cartridge recommendations for a Mission 774 on a 401 please.

I'm Brook.

Default Cartridge recommendations for a Mission 774 on a 401 please.

Hi all, I have been pontificating on changing the Jelco SA750D on my 401 in favour of a low mass arm, & to that end have been convinced to try a Mission 774. Using a Highphonic MC-R5 cartridge the results are superb, so I am looking for cartridge recommendations please, both MM & MC. I am prepared to spend around a grand on a used MC & about half that for MM but have no idea how flexible the 774 arm is, my knowledge of vintage carts that might suit is sadly lacking however. I am trying to rectify that by reading as much as I can, but am hampered by my historical ignorance of how low & high mass arms work with low & high compliance carts.
    I anyone can point me to some good reading material & or to carts that could fit the bill I would be very grateful.

I'm Patrick.

Decca (S)C4E. Secondhand, but John Wright can rebuild and retip them as new.

(Neither MC or MM, but MM phono compatible)

I'm David.

Interesting that your budget for MC is twice that for MM? Don't forget that for most MC's you may also need to budget for a SUT or is that the reason for the difference?

My suggestions would be for a Cartridge Man Music Maker III or a Decca Gold/Super Gold (with an extra headshell weight) or the previously mentioned C4E for MM/MI on that arm. One of the Soundsmith cartridges might also work well.

I can't really help with MC's as although I have owned quite a few they are all lower compliance and therefore work best on heavier arms.

All the best

David Whistance

I'm Geoff.

The Mission 774 is designed to work with high or low compliance cartridges. I have a ZYX R100 02H in my 774 arm at the moment. It has worked just fine with every cartridge I've used MC or MM, you just vary the fluid damping to suit the compliance.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

There was an zyx 50 on pe. quite an attractive price too.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Give me a shout if you want a 774 as I have one to sell

I also have a cartridge going spare too, Shure 55em with Jico SAS stylus and original stylus all boxed.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
    Hi all, I have been pontificating on changing the Jelco SA750D on my 401 in favour of a low mass arm, & to that end have been convinced to try a Mission 774. Using a Highphonic MC-R5 cartridge the results are superb, so I am looking for cartridge recommendations please, both MM & MC. I am prepared to spend around a grand on a used MC & about half that for MM but have no idea how flexible the 774 arm is, my knowledge of vintage carts that might suit is sadly lacking however. I am trying to rectify that by reading as much as I can, but am hampered by my historical ignorance of how low & high mass arms work with low & high compliance carts.
    I anyone can point me to some good reading material & or to carts that could fit the bill I would be very grateful.
    You've had a couple of recommendations for Deccas, which would make me question people's sanity (only my opinion) and after having three and a Mission 774 arm, I'd totally recommend avoidance of Deccas. And yes, I'm aware "so and so" and "XYZ" rate them as well as "Joe blogs will only use Deccas!"

I don't like what they do.

As for Zyx 50 & 100, they were both easily manoeuvred by an AT33PTGII and a Lyra Claris, Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, ATART7 and Denon 301mk2

Didn't look at your budget so my recommendation is to get out and hear as many carts as you can before you spend any money.

I put a AT33PTGII on my Mission 774 and it was ridiculously good for the minute outlay.

Good luck.

I'm Brook.

Thanks so far guys, I will address all points in this one post, hope you don't mind.

1. Patrick, I do like Decca's & have had one, a Gold which I loved, but for some reason I didn't think they would be a good match, happy to be proven wrong though.

2. David, reason for the price differential is simply due to not wanting to spend more than £500 on a MM cart, I use a Welborne Labs hybrid phono stage with a Denon HA500 head amp, so I am already equipped for pretty much any cart really. I have never heard a Music Maker but I will try to.

3. Grant, what or where is "pe"? If a Zyx is a good match again that would interest me.

4. Mike, I already have the 774 but thanks anyway, unless you are practically giving it away! (You could pm me a price & try me).

5. Oliver, the differing opinions on what works with what is always personal, it makes taking the path tricky but at the same time fun. I will try my AT33PTG mkii on the 774 when I get home & see what I think, it certainly sounded fab on the Jelco, but I am after a good step up in quality on that despite how good it was. A Denon 301 & A Kontrapunkt would interest me, less so a Lyra or ART7.

I perhaps paid a little over the odds for the Mission, but it is immaculate & has all the paddles, literature, tools & damping fluid etc, & was going to try one of XTC's (?) arm wands, anyone have an opinion on whether they are as good/better than the original ones?

I'm Geoff.

The "pe" Grant refers to, is our Private Exhibitions sales section and yes, there is a nice ZYX MC for sale there.

You may be interested in this post I made a few days ago.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Brook.

Thanks for that Geoff, I tried to message you with a question but your inbox is full, anyhow no harm in putting it here.

Hi Geoff, thanks for your response to my thread, it is mainly thanks to you that I have ended up with the the 774 actually, you might remember we spoke about one some time ago & that helped me make up my mind.
    With regards to the Zyx Bloom in the classifieds, do you rate it or even have you heard one?
    I have been reading & have seen it mentioned that carts with a tracking force of around 2g are not really high compliance, but I guess there is a lot more to it than that. If I were to go for it, could you advise on which size paddle would be most likely to work well with it?

Cheers,

Brook.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast