+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How much vinyl is too much vinyl for an upstairs room?

I'm Geoff.

Of course nobody has taken unseen dry rot or woodworm into account. It does happen and any calculations go out of the window then.

Just hoping to cover all bases here (and put the fear of God up you ) .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No normal wooden floor would support 3800 kilos even spread across a metre square so there's something not quite right there.
    The operative word here is 'equivalent'.

I may have underestimated the size of a footprint: but if we assume a full square foot (0.093m2, and clearly an overestimate), the equivalent pressure is 817Kg/m2.

To be perfectly honest, I don't really know what the quoted figure of 153Kg/m2 means. But in terms of the 225Kg of record storage, being an excessive structural load or not, since this is equal to the weight of three human adults - if these adults can congregate in the room and not feel the floor flexing, then all will be well.
    Last edited by Barry; 18-05-2019 at 18:03. Reason: Addition
    Barry

I'm Sam.

i keep my vinyl some vintage cedar cabinet thingy, not sure what you call it

here's a look at it

Amps: Technics SU-V9, SU-V8 (black and silver), V8X, V4X ( 2 black, 1 silver) , G50 and SU-500
    Source:Technics SL-P990, P350, P477a,PG440a, Marantz CD40, NEC CD620 - TDA1541A, Philips CD753, Klein DAC, tuner and turntables Technics
    Speakers: Technics SB-6, Coral CX-5, ESM bookself (seas tweeters), Celestion Sl-6 (copper domes)

I'm Stewart.

Don't forget to take into account how many Heavy Metal albums you have.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by legb4rsk View Post
    Don't forget to take into account how many Heavy Metal albums you have.
    Barry

I'm James.

As was mentioned before why not buy some brackets and rawlbolt them to the wall? Cost less than an engineer and no doubts about collapse.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    As was mentioned before why not buy some brackets and rawlbolt them to the wall? Cost less than an engineer and no doubts about collapse.

Just take care that, given the age of the property, that the mortar between the bricks could be lime/ash which doesn't give good fixings and the bricks could loosen.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm James.

Ok, use chemical bolts. Still cheaper than a structural engineer

I'm Russell.

I’ve got about 200 records on a 3/4 inch shelving board about a meter long, and it doesn’t sag. I’m sure you’ve got nothing to worry about.

Russell

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Crickey you turn away for 5 minutes and the thread goes wild LOL

Ok to try and answer some of the questions raised

When designing the British Standard for domestic loading is 1.5kN/m2 superimposed load (does not include self weight) Remember this is 153kg on each and every m2 of the subject room. Chances are the actual load will be a lot less than this Locally higher loads are then shared by the construction ie boards span between joists spreading the load over several joists. So two two big fat blokes having a conversation may locally exceed 153kg/m2 but that load will spread across several joists and will likely be a fairly temporary load. No one ever mentioned overload causing collapse. The British Standard loading will include a factor of safety on those loads too.

So you treat the blanket imposed load as a guide to know whether you need to check the floor any further.

In my instance a quick check based on the blanket load shows that under my record storage 5 high Ikea units with say 60 albums per module so 300 albums (Albums generally weight about 2.8kg per 10 albums) over an area of 0.415m x 0.39m shows an imposed load of about 5kN/m2 which is 3.3 times more than the blanket allowance. However you then have to consider the actual stress in each floor joist under that loading condition which is a function of the joist size, its spacing and its span. In my case even under 5kN/m2 loading my floor joists are adequate.

So in essence use the 153kg/m2 allowance as a guide but if it is exceeded then it may need a bit of further checking.

Hope that explains it a little better
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage