+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Croft valve rolling question

I'm Karl.

Little piccy of the 56 RCA’s i took the plunge on. Anyone tried these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post

Little piccy of the 56 RCA’s i took the plunge on. Anyone tried these?

I used to use RCA long black plate 12BH7's in my Croft Series 4s and found them the "nicest" of the 12 BH7's I tried. I liked them much more than the RCA grey plates. I find a 1960's vintage Raytheon 12BH7 hits the sweet spot in the 25RS line stage.

Steve
    Always a little further

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    I used to use RCA long black plate 12BH7's in my Croft Series 4s and found them the "nicest" of the 12 BH7's I tried. I liked them much more than the RCA grey plates. I find a 1960's vintage Raytheon 12BH7 hits the sweet spot in the 25RS line stage.

Steve
    Thats good to know. Ive had it on good authority that the 50s RCAs are the best. Can you remember how the raytheon differs? I need to buy one more for my linestage but dont know wether to wait until i hear the RCAs first or take the plunge on something else

CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Stephen.

Thats good to know. Ive had it on good authority that the 50s RCAs are the best. Can you remember how the raytheon differs? I need to buy one more for my linestage but dont know wether to wait until i hear the RCAs first or take the plunge on something else

In the line stage the Raytheon is more "open and transparent" with better fine detail than the RCA. The RCA has a fuller mid range "bloom" but to my ears the Raytheon suits digital replay better but YMMV.

Steve
    Always a little further

I'm Karl.

In the line stage the Raytheon is more "open and transparent" with better fine detail than the RCA. The RCA has a fuller mid range "bloom" but to my ears the Raytheon suits digital replay better but YMMV.

Steve
    Hhmmm this has got me thinking now. They are definitely three of the characteristics i like. Although i very rarely play digital music unless I stick spotify on for the missus. (She’s forbidden from the turntable , far to clumsy for that haha)

Can you remember what year and lettering it was Steve?

Thanks

I'm Stephen.

Can you remember what year and lettering it was Steve?

Afraid I can't remember. I bought it from Drew of this parish (user name da2222). He is a fantastic source for guaranteed quality NOS tubes. He's currently got a post on Private Exhibitions for NOS ecc82's but drop him a PM about 12BH7's.

Steve
    Always a little further

I'm Karl.

Default Croft valve rolling question

Afraid I can't remember. I bought it from Drew of this parish (user name da2222). He is a fantastic source for guaranteed quality NOS tubes. He's currently got a post on Private Exhibitions for NOS ecc82's but drop him a PM about 12BH7's.

Steve
    No worries mate, i actually messaged him last night but he doesnt have any 12bh7A at the moment. Theres a couple of 50s and 60s black plate raytheon available in america for 40-50 usd. Not too badly priced. Might be worth a gamble?

I'm Stephen.

You could also consider a Westinghouse 12BH7. There is actually one for sale on AoS at the moment.
    https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...2BH7a-for-sale

Steve
    Always a little further

I'm John.

No worries mate, i actually messaged him last night but he doesnt have any 12bh7A at the moment. Theres a couple of 50s and 60s black plate raytheon available in america for 40-50 usd. Not too badly priced. Might be worth a gamble?

I think you'll be absolutely fine with the very nice NOS valves you've got already.
    Looking back on my own experience, the only change I'd consider a priority would be swapping any ECC99's that might have been fitted for NOS 12bh7's.
    Apart from that if someone were to sneakily replace my carefully selected NOS valves with others I'd rejected, I reckon I probably wouldn't notice the difference.
    You can get really hyper about these things when you're "in the zone" and waste an awful lot of time and money.
    That's what I reckon, anyway.

I'm Karl.

You could also consider a Westinghouse 12BH7. There is actually one for sale on AoS at the moment.
    https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...2BH7a-for-sale

Steve
    Thanks steve i have spoken with Jim and he prefers the RCA valves aswell so i shall see how i go with the ones ive got first

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast