+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Raspberry Pi for Noobies!!!!

I'm Russell.

Default Raspberry Pi for Noobies!!!!

I'm interested in trying Raspberry Pi but have no idea how to start or indeed what kit I need!

I have Google Chromecast currently & like the idea of streaming Tidal through that using my phone - is that available with Pi?

I don't want a separate computer or screen set up - just something small & simple like the GCC.

Any assistance anyone can add?

Thanks.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeman1973 View Post
    I'm interested in trying Raspberry Pi but have no idea how to start or indeed what kit I need!

I have Google Chromecast currently & like the idea of streaming Tidal through that using my phone - is that available with Pi?

I don't want a separate computer or screen set up - just something small & simple like the GCC.

Thanks.
    LMS has a plugin that sees ChromeCast devices as players, and there's a whole shedload of other things that does too.
    Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz are all available as plugins as well.
    To get it running on a RasPi you need to install piCorePlayer.

When it's all set up you can control it all using something like Orange Squeeze if it's Android, or iPeng if your phone is a fruity one.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm inactive.

Thanks.
    I don't think any RPi set up is anything like as simple and straightforward as using a Chromecast - unless you can get someone to set one up for you.
    There are a few 'out the box' solutions (such as Audiophonics offer or the Pecan Pi described in another thread) but you will pay a lot more for those than you did for your Chromecast.

If you have the urge and are prepared to fiddle around to get one going then I would recommend looking at Justboom's various add-ons as a cheap way to start:
    https://www.justboom.co

Combine your choice with something easy to set up like Volumio and you could be up and running within a few hours:
    https://volumio.org

I'm Adrian.

Thanks.
    Go to Volumio.org and look at shop, go to complete solution select one fro your budget and SQ you want. It should come read6 to fire up. When you get it download Volumio onto mobile phone or tablet and set it up after switching on Rpi connected to hifi and to Ethernet. You can sign up to Tidal on Monday bile device or computer and then access it use no Volumio. Job done
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Tony.

I have no idea as to how to set up GCC to rpi but if you wanted to go the usual route of rpi and a plug in audio board its relatively easy.

For example, if you wanted a set up to use with a standalone DAC its simply a matter of buying a rpi, digital output board such as a hifiberry digi+ or an Allo digione, a case and an micro SD.

Assembly is easy fit the rpi to the case and then plug the digital output board to the rpi and close the case.

Then download an OS like picoreplayer and burn it to the SD card.

Pop the SD card in the rpi, use something like ipscanner to find out what the ip addy of the rpi is and then log in using a browser and then follow the easy set up guide provided by piecoreplayer.

It then helps to have logitech media server set up on your laptop so that you can access your rpi set up from there. This is the bit that may need a learning curve if you are unfamiliar with LMS.

All this could easily be completed with 30 mins
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

+ Reply to Thread