+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must go fast! Vintage all original IMF / Irving M Fried - Super Compact Loudspeakers

I'm Chris.

Default Must go fast! Vintage all original IMF / Irving M Fried - Super Compact Loudspeakers

I've put these up on eBay for collection only - I've had good offers and good interest from abroad (Greece and Italy) and therefore am likely to post it even thought I really wanted to avoid the courier.

So - long shot - I thought I would put these speakers on the forum for not less than £250 the pair! Completely original - fully working - some classics here from Irving Fried.

I would prefer to personally deliver in the car - meet halfway or something like that if you are not a million miles away here in the UK (I am in Norfolk - so I am prepared to drive up to 100 miles for the price of fuel only).

If I don't get a sale shortly here I will begrudgingly resort to using the courier for the interest coming from overseas.

Oh, the Marantz kit between the speakers is for sale too (not so urgently).

I'm Chris.

I have the original grills with IMF logo on them too in great condition (not in the picture).

I'm Steve.

I had a pair of these back in the day and can confirm they are a cracking pair of speakers. Don't miss out guys, get em bought.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    I had a pair of these back in the day and can confirm they are a cracking pair of speakers. Don't miss out guys, get em bought.
    Thanks - I've got two people hanging on from abroad and I can't keep them hanging on much longer!

Their offfers are identical - £250, the hassle of boxing them is putting me off sending them away - but I will if I have to.

I think by the time this day is finished and I have no further feedback from this forum they weill be shipped.

I'm Chris.

The countdown is on....

going, going .....

(last 2 hours before these expire here on this forum to honor my offers abroad)

I'm Chris.

GONE (going to Greece).

But take a look at the vintage Marantz amp and tuner inbetween - nice items!

I'm Chris.

Oh... I didn't expect these speakers to sound this good!

While I was initially testing them I had them powered by the vintage Marantz amp shown in the picture sandwiched between the IMFs; sound was good but the setup in the garage is not optimal as you can see.

So into the lounge they go where the main rig lives - I hooked them up to my Croft pre/power - and boy do they really shine!

The sound is way behond what I thought a pair of old lesser known speakers like these can achieve.

Makes be want to keep them! But how long will they last being old like this? Are they servicable if they do break? Should in fact any of the old x-over components be replaced? Everything about them sound excellent 'as is' - but by God how much better could they get if given a 2019 service by the right person?

What do I do, what do I do? I don't think a pair of these will pass by my doorstep again - they aint commonplace around here.

I'm Geoff.

The drivers are generally reliable as long as you don't put daft amounts of power through them, so why worry? It should be easy enough to put modern caps in the crossovers if need be.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The drivers are generally reliable as long as you don't put daft amounts of power through them, so why worry? It should be easy enough to put modern caps in the crossovers if need be.
    OK perhaps so, what about the tweeters? They are meant to be by Peerless, are these reliable and have decent longevity?

Just trying to work out why these speakers sound so good? What's under the hood so to speak?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by loonytunes View Post
    OK perhaps so, what about the tweeters? They are meant to be by Peerless, are these reliable and have decent longevity?

Just trying to work out why these speakers sound so good? What's under the hood so to speak?
    No reason to suspect those tweeters of being particularly fragile. If I recall, that was a higher power version anyway.

The EMI mid was used by many makers, doped cone employed here. And the KEF B200 bass speaker is a good unit.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast