+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: The Circus Has Ended - Thank God !

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Yes and that is the really worrying aspect of it.

What was that quote..."Nobody ever lost money by underestimating the taste of....."

the problem with my position is that Im just going to be considered a snob for telling them what to do. Most JK or gogglebox fans would just tell me to F off.

Im serious that we have bred a significant base level of morons. In truth it was always that way though.

Surely the aim should be to raise standards. Im not against light entertainment. All I am saying is that you dont make programmes which exploit people in a patronising, cruel and cynical way.
    Hey, leave Gogglebox alone! I like the Malones, they seem quite normal. Not too keen on the hoity-toity older couple though, they look like the sort who only watch TV when they have to. When she says "What a load of old rubbish" in a Janet Street-Porter style, I want to chuck something at the telly. Not that I ever watch it though - I much prefer more highbrow programming, like all the super-discerning folks on here
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Personally I think it's utter crap.

However I don't feel I have the right to impose my opinion on others and tell them what shows they should watch or take part in.
    Thats where its all wrong though Gary.

You must have a line of taste that you dont want to see crossed so its a question of where that line is.

Im not trying to be like the nanny state but we have to step in at some level and say stop the humiliation. Its dangerous crap and thats the main point

I dont think you can counter this by saying I have no right to impose my opinion on others. Thats what a society with any laws or organisation does. You are living everyday with someones judgement imposed on you. Hopefully that is mostly for the good

Its an unacceptable programme and the silent majority have turned a blind eye for too long

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Hey, leave Gogglebox alone! I like the Malones, they seem quite normal. Not too keen on the hoity-toity older couple though, they look like the sort who only watch TV when they have to. When she says "What a load of old rubbish" in a Janet Street-Porter style, I want to chuck something at the telly. Not that I ever watch it though - I much prefer more highbrow programming, like all the super-discerning folks on here
    Im with Marco on this one so you are outnumbered If I heard Craig Cash do that stupid voice ever again I would smash my TV right in...he should be ashamed of himself.

Gogglebox is dross but Im not asking for that to be taken off air

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hey, at least you're honest!

Marco.
    Hey, it took some balls to admit to watching The One Show, two in fact, which is exactly two more than the presenters have between them
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Gary.

I don't think most of the silent majority could give a toss tbh.

I honestly believed the people in it were actors and the stories made up.

It's difficult in discussions like to disagree without sounding offensive and the statement I'm about to make is absolutely not meant to sound as such but just because you say the programme is unacceptable doesn't mean it is. Yes you find it unacceptable, I don't like it, but millions of people, rightly or wrongly, enjoy it.
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

....and which is a sad reflection/indictment on our society. As I said, social media is largely to blame for 'our' (although I certainly don't include myself in this) obsession with sharing our lives in public with complete strangers, and which has largely given birth to these diabolical 'reality' shows.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Gary.

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate, again I'm using Google as a source.
    Facebook started in 2004 and in 2005, when Jeremy Kyle first aired, was only in use in 21 UK universities, so JK certainly predated Facebook.
    Maybe the other reality TV crap came along later and was boosted by people posting what they're doing on social media.
    I don't know as I don't use social media or watch reality TV. (unless you count I'm a celebrity get me out of here)
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    I'm not sure that's entirely accurate, again I'm using Google as a source.
    Facebook started in 2004 and in 2005, when Jeremy Kyle first aired, was only in use in 21 UK universities, so JK certainly predated Facebook.
    Maybe the other reality TV crap came along later and was boosted by people posting what they're doing on social media.
    I don't know as I don't use social media or watch reality TV. (unless you count I'm a celebrity get me out of here)
    Yep - and 'Reality TV' (as it came to be known) goes way back further than that with the prototype for 'Big Brother' being first broadcast in 1993.
    'The Living Soap' featured a bunch of students living in a flat (paid for by the BBC) who had to live under the gaze of a bunch of cameras 24/7. At that time most of us who had 'the internet' had to put up will dial-up modems and wait half an hour to download a tiny photo

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...n-1511568.html

If we want to be really pedantic, this was preceded by the 1974 BBC series 'The Family' which featured a 'fly-on the wall' account of the day to day life of an 'ordinary' British family':
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYNGRqXKkSA

At that time 'the internet' was nowt more than two cans and a piece of string (if you were lucky)

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Sure, but the point is, the introduction of social media, in particular (not just the Internet), has increased the popularity of all this 'reality' bollox, by 'normalising' the broadcasting of your life (and its problems) in public to all and sundry, thus made the situation now much worse!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

I blame Jerry Springer.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast