+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transcendent Sound Mini Beast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Paul.

Default Transcendent Sound Mini Beast

Some of you may have seen Ali Tait's Transcendent Sound Pinnacle build thread but for those unaware TS produce kits to build your very own OTL (output transformer-less) valve amp. Very nice they are to in both appearance and performance.

Fortunately for me it meant he was selling his TS Minibeast and I jumped at the chance to snap it up albeit at the expense of my quad 306 and bte khozmo preamp. Something didn't quite gell with those two. Not sure why but it just left me feeling something was amiss. Maybe the khozmo works better in a active preamp?

It arrived well packaged and I soon went about setting it up. The valves fit very snuggly into their bases and contrary to some owners observations all are sitting perfectly upright probably due mainly to Ali's handywork.

The sound of it is exceptional. I can't hear a thing from on it start up in fact the only way I know it's been switched on is from the glow of the tubes. It portrays music in a way that makes you smile well it does for me anyhow. At only 4wpc you might think it would need to be cranked to 2 or 3 o'clock on the dial but in truth I rarely go past 12, however my speakers are fairly sensitive at 95db.

I originally had it sideways next to my TV but it just didn't look or feel right and with small kids it couldn't stay this way. So I made a shelf out of some spare mdf. Covered it with a wood effect sticky back stuff and it's now up and out of the way.

Can see myself keeping this beauty for a long time.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

I'm Alan.

Excellent purchase Paul. OTL amps have a magical openness about them.

My first OTL was the TS Beast, I have since built 3 more with different valves and topology.

I'm Paul.

Hi Alan, I've seen elsewhere that you have owned and worked on these and for someone who knows their way around a valve amp that's good enough for me.

Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Amptastic Mini-1

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Glad you’re enjoying the amp Paul, it’s a great bit of kit.

My transformers turned up today so I’ve made a start on finishing off the Pinnacles. As luck would have it I’m also starting a new project tomorrow so time is limited now. Still hope to have them done for the weekend though.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Paul.

It's getting better the more I'm getting used to it.

Good news on the transformers. I've got no patience for things like. If I order something I want it there the next day. Bet you can't wait to hear it.

It'll need some burning in I would imagine?

Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Amptastic Mini-1

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yeah will a bit. I’ll just be glad if they don’t let any of the magic smoke out lol.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Paul.

Just before switching on "Now did I defiantaly follow those instructions to the T" BANG. I'm sure they'll be no issues.

Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Amptastic Mini-1

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Haha yes exactly. Already been over them twice from the beginning and found two unsoldered wires, so hopefully will be ok. Spent a couple of hours yesterday powering up and testing the filament supplies. All good and ready to be installed.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Paul.

You got the pinnacles up and running yet Ali?

Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Amptastic Mini-1

+ Reply to Thread