+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Croft - why 2 volume controls?

I'm Grant.

my mono power amps have a passive vc on them so i can adj for my position which is off to side. its very handy
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS/TIDAL - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

**Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alan.

Croft will add remote if you ask.
    I have also added remote control to items as well.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    my mono power amps have a passive vc on them so i can adj for my position which is off to side. its very handy
    That is useful in my set up actually, still rather a remote though!
    Current system. NAS Interspace, Jelco 750, /Nagaoka MP 200/Graham Slee Era V. CDP - Mission PCM 7000. Amps - Quad 909/306/Croft micro 25. Chario Syntar 100 Tower. QED XT40 speaker cable/Straight wire interconnects.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Croft will add remote if you ask.
    I have also added remote control to items as well.
    OK cheers.
    Current system. NAS Interspace, Jelco 750, /Nagaoka MP 200/Graham Slee Era V. CDP - Mission PCM 7000. Amps - Quad 909/306/Croft micro 25. Chario Syntar 100 Tower. QED XT40 speaker cable/Straight wire interconnects.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    That is useful in my set up actually, still rather a remote though!
    yup but once set are never moved. i have a remote on the amp i use as a pre.. the quad vena2.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS/TIDAL - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

**Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I used the Croft Micro with a Quad 405 Mk2 and 606 power amp with great results. In fact I ran this set up for years. The only one downside is you may find the gain a little high. Never troubled me but some folk are sensitive to it.
    Thanks james, seems to be a popular combo, at the minute I'm using a Khozmo passive which has quite a lean sound, which is intolerable with some music but great with others.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Thanks james, seems to be a popular combo, at the minute I'm using a Khozmo passive which has quite a lean sound, which is intolerable with some music but great with others.
    Not keen on Passives myself Mike, they always seem to lack meat on the bone.
    VPI Scout 1.1 - Ortofon 2M Black FGS - Croft 25R+ - Croft Series 7 - Spendor SP2

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It gives better channel separation, less crosstalk. In theory at least.

Also lets you adjust balance without having a balance control knob in circuit too.

I've had a few amps with L and R volume controls including a Croft, never found it to be any bother at all.
    +1

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Not keen on Passives myself Mike, they always seem to lack meat on the bone.
    Until you hear a good one, not routing audio signals through potentiometers or via stepped attenuator switched resistors.
    https://robmid42.wixsite.com/diyaudi...ich-ldr-preamp

I'm Richard.

Default Croft 25 and remote control

I have a croft 25 with a single stereo pot (the zero gain version that sees to be better with quad/leak power amps) so they can clearly be ordered that way (I think that the stereo pot version is more popular overseas - there are plenty that turn up on the German audio websites)
    That said I have also used the 2 mono pot preamps in the past (both DNM and Croft) and although its quirky you soon get used to it. Initially I worried that perhaps I didn't have exactly the same volume from both channels but if the SQ is right, that worry evaporates pretty quickly.
    Audioflair will retro fit a remote control feature to the preamp - they are Croft dealers and the remote option is listed on their website.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast