+ Reply to Thread

Thread: M50 Review from James

I'm Colin.

Default M50 Review from James

I feel I’ve had this amp long enough to do a short review. First of all I have to to give a huge thank you to Colin for being patient with my numerous emails and for being an absolute gent.

Colin kept me up to date with the progress of the build and the amp was packaged very well indeed.

The amp is impeccably finished and looks very nice. Nothing fancy, nothing bling, just a plain black case with the EWA logo, amp model and a power button on the front. All the connections on the rear look to be of very good quality.

I first had the M50 running through the pre-amp straight from the back of th tv. Music was played from the Spotify app on the PS4. Straight away I knew this amp was special, it sounded stunning. All I wanted to do was listen to music, feet tapping and singing along. Brilliant.

I’ve always suffered with not getting huge volume from my systems in the past but it was more apparent with the M50. Even with the pre-amp at full volume I wasn’t getting anywhere near the kind of volume that I should have been. A quick email to Colin and it was suggested that the output voltage of my tv was too low to allow me to get full power from the M50. Colin could have just suggested that I buy one of his preamps but instead he very kindly offered to build me a mini preamp. I can’t thank Colin enough for his generosity.

The mini pre arrived. Music on... okay now this is what the M50 is all about... wow! Now this is loud, the kind of loud that has the sofa rumbling on deep bass notes. There isn’t even the slightest hint of the amp being stressed, it’s an absolute beast. Soundstage is huge in every way, vocals are unnervingly real and bass is just something else. It’s a very visceral experience but this amp also does emotion and presents music in a way that is captivating and touching. I love it. I won’t go into describing how sparkly the highs are or how lucid the midrange is because I don’t need to. I will just say that this amp is a music maker. Simple as that.

This amp is very special indeed and I feel very fortunate to own it. Colin is an absolute gentleman and I can’t thank him enough for his kindness and patience
    Last edited by Macca; 15-05-2019 at 07:24. Reason: NVA references removed

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

I met James last night, he came to collect some bits and bobs I had sold him and we sat for a couple of hours chatting and listening to music.

I am very much looking forward to a reciprocal visit to James home to get a listen to your amps Colin.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Colin.

When you do please give us you thoughts.

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps