+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: That 'New' Royd Audio - What Happened?

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Wasn't there also a late design decision to 'add more bass' by just sticking a random port in the cabinet? The end result was hideously disjointed and lumpy.
    The port tuning was never modelled in the original prototype, they just chose a port that looked about the right size. I don't know if they modelled the final version but i'd be surprised if they did.

I'm Deleted.

Ah yes, that fits with my recollection - it certainly didn’t sound like any modelling (or even listening) had taken place .
    Account Deleted

I'm Neil.

Default That 'New' Royd Audio - What Happened?

I really don’t understand why they just didn’t clone the original Minstrel enclosure. There is no IP, patents or copyright to worry about as Royd was never sold on.

A Hiquphon tweeter would’ve been a great replacement for the modded Vifa D19, the hard work would be sourcing / modding an appropriate 5.5in driver (important size for Royd speakers) that’ll work properly without a crossover... or just use a 1st order crossover and forget about hand doping drivers on a measurement jig...
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Martin.

For me its always interesting to see someone launch into a competitive market. This is because I wonder what talent can take on the research departments of the major names. Im interested what model that may take...Perhaps one guy struggling to meet orders six months later as we have seen in a recent example

KEF bring in new sound engineers from university and clearly these companies are not daft. Celestion, Mission, B&W and others must have looked at what Royd were doing. Im also interested who is amalgamating under wang tung industries and who are the smaller operations

From a selfish point of view, Im gutted that Joe retired and is no longer with us. I would have loved his input on the forums or just to see what he may be producing now. I know it would be something very special indeed.

I want to see other people like Joe. I didnt want this guy to fail. There are some fantastic speakers out there.

The Minstrel intrigued me. I first saw saw them in the early 90s surrounded by multi driver floorstanders in the trendy beech finish. The minstrels were small, quirky looking with lumpy looking drive cones. People were generally scratching their heads. A hasty open floor demo was arranged and they sounded alright...then I went away and didnt buy a pair for twenty years..... They must have stunned me then

Im finally glad I own a pair after I lovingly degummed them. They are lovingly designed and just give a hint of something special on a beer budget
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 15-05-2019 at 18:25.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    I really don’t understand why they just didn’t clone the original Minstrel enclosure. There is no IP, patents or copyright to worry about as Royd was never sold on.

A Hiquphon tweeter would’ve been a great replacement for the modded Vifa D19, the hard work would be sourcing / modding an appropriate 5.5in driver (important size for Royd speakers) that’ll work properly without a crossover... or just use a 1st order crossover and forget about hand doping drivers on a measurement jig...
    When I suggested a much more complex crossover than the simple one he was using, he said it would be over budget, so there would have been no chance of the Hiquphon. But I agee that the Hiquphon would probably be the best replacement for the Vifa D19. For the woofer, the Scanspeak 15W/8530K00 would probably be my choice.

I'm Deleted.

I really liked some of Joe’s designs, like the Sintra. I never warmed to the Minstrel though.
    Account Deleted

I'm matt.

Adam lent me a pair of Minstrels to measure. When I first plugged them in after de-gumming them, I thought they were a one-trick pony because some music was great and others stuff, not so good. The next day they sounded completely different and almost everything was great. I still don't know what happened, but I can only think that they were still a bit gummed up.

I think they are a very good speaker, regardless of budget and the only thing that can let them down is a slightly ott treble. Like any speaker, put them in the wrong room or with the wrong electronics (something with a bright treble) and they won't give their best. Get it right, and they really can sing.

I'm Neil.

Default That 'New' Royd Audio - What Happened?

Would be great to DIY a Sintra / Sorcerer clone cab with glued steel plate inside, those Scanspeak drivers (braced) & Hiquphon tweeters, would be a gem I think.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Would be great to DIY a Sintra / Sorcerer clone cab with glued steel plate inside, those Scanspeak drivers (braced) & Hiquphon tweeters, would be a gem I think.
    Forgot to say that those drivers have already been used together in a well respected diy design - Carrera

It would be very interesting to compare those to one of Joe's best designs. If I had to take a gamble, i'd bet on Joe beating the Carrera, but you never know...

I'm Adam.

Default Royd

That would be me the original post is referring to, fascinating to see the warped lens that the armchair critics viewed the relaunched Royd and what little background info they actually have to its rebirth. There was a great deal of effort to contact Joe and seek his approval for the relaunch as well as to track down and purchase the original IP that had stayed dormant for over 14 years. It wasn't strictly needed and the intention to re-launch an existing iconic British audio brand was very genuine and very honest.

People speak as though it were sinister or cynical and I can assure you it was neither of those things. fatmarley was involved in the very early stages and does a disservice to the work carried out after his involvement, not to mention that the crossover he helped design that was ultimately discarded would have cost a huge amount commercially to produce and was just physically too big for the design.

Those with low opinions of the Troubadour generally heard them at the Whittlebury show which wasn't the best venue I'll agree, but others who actually went on to buy them were happy with their purchase and no we didn't just stick a port in for "more bass".

I find it truly sad that efforts to bring back a uniquely British audio company and give consumers more choice than the Chinese owned alternatives were met with so much resistance and outright venom. It is a tough and overcrowded space and a challenge for sure. I'd welcome anyone here to step up and try, we need more genuine British audio brands.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast