+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42

Thread: Phono stage options

  1. #31
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 58,337
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    We dont have many members up here, and some are spread out a bit but we usually get decent numbers considering.. maybe just forum dynamics in your area playing a part. also timing can have an effect too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS/TIDAL - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

    **Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

  2. #32
    Join Date: Dec 2016

    Location: Kent TN8

    Posts: 135
    I'm Graham.

    Default

    I generally have them in Mar and Sept on a Saturday as hopefully the weather will be OK for travelling.have been hosting them for over a decade now.my last one in Mar had 3 newbies which was great and they all enjoyed them selves and want to come to the next one.

    Grant,this isn't a criticism of the forum,I guess its just the way things are.
    Analogue. Basis signature 2200,Basis Vector 4.Koetsu Red,Koetsu SUT,NVO SPA 11.
    Digital. Denon 2900,Jolida FX 11
    Amp. Pathos Logos,Minidsp dirac 22A.
    Speakers. Amphion Xenon.
    Airlink CBS 2000 bps

  3. #33
    Join Date: Aug 2011

    Location: Midlands

    Posts: 193
    I'm Wayne.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Wider sampling? Are you suggesting I am not of sufficient experience to judge lol!!!

    No, I don't totally agree about them however that doesn't mean I'd buy them personally. I wouldn't be binning them off until I tried a few amps first.
    Read carefully, the suggestion, and thatís all it is, was directed to the OP.

    Iím not dissing the OPs taste, Iíve said several times that if that presentation is his genuine preference then all good. However it is always good to listen to different approaches to inspire or to confirm your original choice.

    Hah, to the think the OP started off wanted to splash a wedge on a new phono stage

  4. #34
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 9,527
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsondonkey View Post
    Read carefully, the suggestion, and thatís all it is, was directed to the OP.

    Iím not dissing the OPs taste, Iíve said several times that if that presentation is his genuine preference then all good. However it is always good to listen to different approaches to inspire or to confirm your original choice.

    Hah, to the think the OP started off wanted to splash a wedge on a new phono stage
    I was only pulling your leg mate
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3+/Allo Boss 1.2/Isolator 1.3 & Firebottle LPSU with Volumio & JRiver
    Amplification: Nelson Pass Derived DCB1 with Khozmo 48 Step Series Attenuator & Neurochrome Modulus 686 Amplifier
    Cables: SPOTFIRE Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

    Price List For SPOTFIRE Cables here:https://bit.ly/2Uxiv3j

    Alternative reading: http://www.audioaddictsforum.com

  5. #35
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 58,337
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GJO View Post
    I generally have them in Mar and Sept on a Saturday as hopefully the weather will be OK for travelling.have been hosting them for over a decade now.my last one in Mar had 3 newbies which was great and they all enjoyed them selves and want to come to the next one.

    Grant,this isn't a criticism of the forum,I guess its just the way things are.
    i didnt take it as one. just thought id give my impressions of how they seem to work here
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS/TIDAL - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

    **Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

  6. #36
    Join Date: Aug 2011

    Location: Midlands

    Posts: 193
    I'm Wayne.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I was only pulling your leg mate
    Well I should also declare my interest as Chairman of the Campaign for Monitor Audio Extinction

  7. #37
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 9,527
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsondonkey View Post
    Well I should also declare my interest as Chairman of the Campaign for Monitor Audio Extinction
    Lmao
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3+/Allo Boss 1.2/Isolator 1.3 & Firebottle LPSU with Volumio & JRiver
    Amplification: Nelson Pass Derived DCB1 with Khozmo 48 Step Series Attenuator & Neurochrome Modulus 686 Amplifier
    Cables: SPOTFIRE Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

    Price List For SPOTFIRE Cables here:https://bit.ly/2Uxiv3j

    Alternative reading: http://www.audioaddictsforum.com

  8. #38
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 26,190
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Best budget amplifier match for modern Monitor Audio is .... Arcam

    Never heard them with a Krell but it should work.

    I'd try a passive pre-amp with the Arcam as a power amp and see how that goes. Cheap experiment.

    To get an MC cart that is better than a Nag MP500 will be expensive.
    Current Lash Up:

    *Sony SCD XB790QS* Nelson Pass DCB1 / Krell KSA100 mkII * JM Lab Electra 926 *


    'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

  9. #39
    Join Date: Mar 2018

    Location: Surrey, just outside the M25

    Posts: 25
    I'm Alun.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Best budget amplifier match for modern Monitor Audio is .... Arcam

    Never heard them with a Krell but it should work.

    I'd try a passive pre-amp with the Arcam as a power amp and see how that goes. Cheap experiment.

    To get an MC cart that is better than a Nag MP500 will be expensive.
    Thanks Macca, that’s exactly what I’m planning to do, although I’m definitely thinking of finding a better power amp in due course.

    Cheers

    Alun

  10. #40
    Join Date: Nov 2010

    Location: Chorley, Lancs

    Posts: 1,972
    I'm Mike.

    Default

    Well I'm running my Monitor Audio PMC 705's from my Marantz PM66 kis and they sound awsome from cd and even better from vinyl via the Firebottle OTP 3 phono stage, so much so after the amp upgrade this Xmas I'm eying up a pair of PM300 mk2's in the new year


    As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •