+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Phono stage options

I'm Alun.

Default Phono stage options

Hi all,

Just wondered if I could get some opinions on where I could go next with a phono stage as I’ve got the upgrade itch. I’m currently using a Sonneteer Sedley with my Michell Orbe and SME IV plus MP500 cartridge. This runs into an Arcam Delta 290 although I’m also thinking of getting a separate preamp and using the Arcam as a power amp. I’d probably be looking used to get more bang for buck with perhaps a budget of £1000-£1500.

I would be grateful for any ideas 🙂

Thanks

Alun

I'm Charlie.

Alun,

Lots of options at that price range. My personal presence would be for a TRON Convergence, which comes perfectly in your price range - beautifully made and great sound for the money - a true taste of high end for mid range money. Other options would include a second hand Art Audio Vinyl One, Croft RIAA RS. I'm sure others will chip in with their suggestions.

Charlie

BTW, You could go and audition it at the manufacturer's, which is only a few miles off J16 on the M25
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Grant.

theres a primare r32 in pe.. its very good and might surprise. lower budget even new but still up there.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrybob View Post
    Hi all,

Just wondered if I could get some opinions on where I could go next with a phono stage as I’ve got the upgrade itch. I’m currently using a Sonneteer Sedley with my Michell Orbe and SME IV plus MP500 cartridge. This runs into an Arcam Delta 290 although I’m also thinking of getting a separate preamp and using the Arcam as a power amp. I’d probably be looking used to get more bang for buck with perhaps a budget of £1000-£1500.

I would be grateful for any ideas ��

Thanks

Alun
    First things first, are you keeping your cart or considering going to MC?

I'm Alun.

Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions so far, I’ll keep them in mind.

Crimsondonkey - I’ll be keeping the MP500 at the moment it sounds great

Thanks

Alun

I'm Mike.

ok so you have an expensive arm and turntable, a very good MM cart and Phonostage and you're running it through an amp i can pick up on ebay for less than £200, my initial thought would be to upgrade the amp, maybe try a Primaluna integrated and a MC cart if your budget stretches that far.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    ok so you have an expensive arm and turntable, a very good MM cart and Phonostage and you're running it through an amp i can pick up on ebay for less than £200, my initial thought would be to upgrade the amp, maybe try a Primaluna integrated and a MC cart if your budget stretches that far.
    Yup, amp first - that's a real bottleneck imo.
    A fancy phonostage would be largely wasted. Once again imo.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes agreed, a new amp would be the way to go. What speakers are you using?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrybob View Post
    Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions so far, I’ll keep them in mind.

Crimsondonkey - I’ll be keeping the MP500 at the moment it sounds great

Thanks

Alun
    If you’re staying MM then the most I would spend is £500, and on something like a Croft RIAA, or a Valab LCR (for a bit more, but has MC for when you decide to try one).

I'm Alun.

Ok fair point on the amp, that was one reason I was thinking of getting a new preamp. My understanding was that the Arcam was well respected albeit old, although it was a better power amp than preamp.

Also on the MM vs MC thing I figured I would have to spend quite a bit to get an MC that would out perform the MP500, but this is only going by what others have said. ��

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast