+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Phono stage options

I'm inthescottishmafia.

“Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Deleted.

Oh, I may have etched the front panels for those - I certainly did some panels for a pair of N-core amps.
    Account Deleted

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crimsondonkey View Post
    Not meaning to sound rude, but no amp, not a Krell or anything else is going to make MA GS20s sound anything other than the wallpaper strippers that they are to my ears.

If you haven’t already, I’d spend some time at bake offs having a listen to how other speakers present music. If you already have and you’ve chosen the GS20s then we have very different ears!
    I have heard this model on a number of occasions and yes, i can imagine with the wrong amp they could get a little strident but that's because the are very revealing speakers. I'd wager them being fine on the end of a good old school Krell. If the OP is anywhere near W.Midlands, he is welcome to bring them and see how they behave with the Big Krell.

I'm Alun.

Thank you for the offer Bigman unfortunately I’m way down south I agree with you, they probably could sound too much in the wrong setup, but they have such a wonderfully clear mid range.

I’m thinking I’ll keep an eye out for a nice power amp and get hold of a khozmo attenuator preamp, I’ve heard great things �� thanks everyone for their help and suggestions ��

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Harrybob View Post
    Thank you for the offer Bigman unfortunately I’m way down south I agree with you, they probably could sound too much in the wrong setup, but they have such a wonderfully clear mid range.

I’m thinking I’ll keep an eye out for a nice power amp and get hold of a khozmo attenuator preamp, I’ve heard great things �� thanks everyone for their help and suggestions ��
    No problem.

I'm Lawrence.

Look at the Copland and Musical Fidelity hybrid amps, IIRC they have a nice smooth sound with a bit of sparkle that would match your MA speakers and a decent photo stage. Nice lookers too! Btw those GS20s are supposed to be nice, the earlier GR20s had an edge to them though.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I have heard this model on a number of occasions and yes, i can imagine with the wrong amp they could get a little strident but that's because the are very revealing speakers. I'd wager them being fine on the end of a good old school Krell. If the OP is anywhere near W.Midlands, he is welcome to bring them and see how they behave with the Big Krell.
    As much as I like KSA50/100, its not going to save MA GS20s. 'Strident' is polite for forward, bright and in your face. The Krell might grip them and improve things but it can't make them change personality!

It just depends what kind of presentation you prefer. If the OP has heard different ones and prefers how MA present then great, but I do wonder whether a bit of wider sampling might not prove quite valuable.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crimsondonkey View Post
    As much as I like KSA50/100, its not going to save MA GS20s. 'Strident' is polite for forward, bright and in your face. The Krell might grip them and improve things but it can't make them change personality!

It just depends what kind of presentation you prefer. If the OP has heard different ones and prefers how MA present then great, but I do wonder whether a bit of wider sampling might not prove quite valuable.
    Wider sampling? Are you suggesting I am not of sufficient experience to judge lol!!!

No, I don't totally agree about them however that doesn't mean I'd buy them personally. I wouldn't be binning them off until I tried a few amps first.

I'm Grant.

One man's 'Strident' is another's fine.... just remember that you are dissing something the op may like
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Graham.

As said go to some bake off's,however this forum doesn't seem to have many members that are willing to participate,I listed one on here and only got one person turn up,on another site I always have to set a limit of 8 and generally have to have a subs bench.
    Analogue. Basis signature 2200,Basis Vector 4.Koetsu Red,Koetsu SUT,NVO SPA 11.
    Digital. Denon 2900,Jolida FX 11
    Amp. Pathos Logos,Minidsp dirac 22A.
    Speakers. Amphion Xenon.
    Airlink CBS 2000 bps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast