+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What tonearm does one aspire to own.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

The Reed 5T is an extraordinary looking arm, looks like the creation of a mad eccentric genius.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm martin.

Default what tonearm does one aspire to own

Since 1978 when I got seriously into Hi Fi and got a Linn LP12,
    1. SME 3009 S2
    2. Hadcock
    3. Grace
    4. Ittoks x 3 first 2 arms I had bearing problems exchanged by Linn FOC
    5. Aro since 2004 to me the best arm on a Linn LP 12.

Regards,

Martin

I'm Dave.

Being a retailer for decades, I have 'owned' numerous arms, too many to list but the only one I 'aspire' to is the Fidelity Research FR-64S.

Fortunately, I do own one..

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Being a retailer for decades, I have 'owned' numerous arms, too many to list but the only one I 'aspire' to is the Fidelity Research FR-64S.

Fortunately, I do own one..
    Hi Dave, Guy tells me it works beautifully on a Voyd, and probably the Technics also.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

right now, I aspire to own and use:

Timestep tonearm
    The new Glanz

I'd like to test run:

the top SAT - I need to understand why it costs what it does

I await user reviews of the Wilson Benesch Graviton, as seeing it at Munich made it very aspirational....indeed

The Helius Phaedra looks interesting too
    BigMooG (Jonathan Stanley)
    He says: Decca is Better

Vinyl System: Superficial Engineering hell/p12 turntable (British Leyland suspension upgrade), Jack-a-nori semi mono Cartridge (tooth pick cantilever), STI Klynik XXX tonearm (rewired with Klimacs Kable ), intelligence quotient 161 (mensa) preamplifier with 224 NOS Ssangyong ECC88s and NOS North Korean kim-jong-ill GZ34s, barelyaudible research V.P.L. dual quad mono amplifiers with modified circuit boards (MDF), Gilson W.A.L.L.O.P Ultimate Final V2 loudspeakers, uranium cable loom (mercury vapour upgrade), hysterical research and Dr Mike Amera room treatments-flock wallpaper, yergota bee-joking cryofrozen fuses throughout

Digital system: cd player

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmoog View Post
    right now, I aspire to own and use:

Timestep tonearm
    The new Glanz

I'd like to test run:

the top SAT - I need to understand why it costs what it does

I await user reviews of the Wilson Benesch Graviton, as seeing it at Munich made it very aspirational....indeed

The Helius Phaedra looks interesting too
    Me too

Sat have just introduced their turntable, looks a bit like a Goldmund Studio Reference, meets Clearaudio, TechDas. He wouldn't tell Micheal Fremer how much. I suspect 200K
    Regards Neil

ugly looking thing tho' and Im not sure its a 'ground up' new design or has proprietary engineering (ie what's the motor etc)....
    BigMooG (Jonathan Stanley)
    He says: Decca is Better

Vinyl System: Superficial Engineering hell/p12 turntable (British Leyland suspension upgrade), Jack-a-nori semi mono Cartridge (tooth pick cantilever), STI Klynik XXX tonearm (rewired with Klimacs Kable ), intelligence quotient 161 (mensa) preamplifier with 224 NOS Ssangyong ECC88s and NOS North Korean kim-jong-ill GZ34s, barelyaudible research V.P.L. dual quad mono amplifiers with modified circuit boards (MDF), Gilson W.A.L.L.O.P Ultimate Final V2 loudspeakers, uranium cable loom (mercury vapour upgrade), hysterical research and Dr Mike Amera room treatments-flock wallpaper, yergota bee-joking cryofrozen fuses throughout

Digital system: cd player

I'm Howard.

I should never have sold my Breuer 8 Dynamic. I made a serious financial gain and concurrently lost a crucial aspect of musical enjoyment. Nothing else came close.
    Well, hello.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by fordy View Post
    I’m a tone arm whore and so already have a few of the usual classics (SME V, FR64s, FR64fx, Phantom and Cyalene to name the best ones. I’ve owned many others too but still on the list to try would be a Triplanar (cos my TT came with a spare armboard for one :-)), a Reed, a Schroeder and a Bruer. I also want to try some more 12 inch tonearms and covet a classic 3012 or a modern SME 12”er and a 12” Moerch. Basically I love tonearms and want to try them all really. If they weren’t so expensive these days, I’d just collect them to own but I will buy almost any arm if it’s well priced and in lovely condition. I find places for them to reside later.
    Try a stax 12". It's a kind of unipivot but not a wobbly one. I wanted to know how it worked but couldn't bring myself to take it apart in case I broke the spell
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Try a stax 12". It's a kind of unipivot but not a wobbly one. I wanted to know how it worked but couldn't bring myself to take it apart in case I broke the spell
    I believe it is a unipivot in the sense of the arm weight being supported by a single pivot pin and thrust cup, but stability is provided by a small ball-race bearing fitted around the pivot pin, which contacts with a tubular extension of the thrust cap.

Hope that makes sense.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast