+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Orchard Audio's PecanPi - Review

I'm Leo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Two questions:

b) what type of power supply does it come with and did you try any other psu?
    It comes with a 9V 2.5A switching power supply. The connector is a standard 2.1mm ID 5.5mm OD, so you could easily swap in a LPSU if you wanted to. Ifi make a 9V 2A version with this power socket.

I would stay away from any power supply that has less than 2A output especially if using the unit with headphones.

Also the board has built in very low noise linear regulators for all of the analog audio circuits that is why it sounds so good even with the switching power supply.
    Last edited by orchardaudio; 12-05-2019 at 17:01.

I'm Leo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Two questions:
    a) were you able to assess performance using the xlr connectors and if so did the channel imbalance persist?
    Yes this would also be interesting to see if the noise is there when using the XLR connectors.

The XLR connection has 6dB better SNR and the common mode noise from whatever else is in your environment should be eliminated.

Bigman80 Guest

Channel balance sorted. See edit

I'm Leo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post

EDIT:

With Leo's permission, I decided to take the PecanPi apart. I mounted it on to my own Raspberry Pi and guess what!, Channel Balance is spot on!

A quick blast through the test tracks demonstrates that even though I hadn't thought the skewed balance had affected my judgement, it definitely affected the performance because this thing has just gone up a few steps. I thought it was excellent yesterday, now its superb.

Seems the issue was the RPI. I am really pleased I decided to pursue this as its just given the Katana some real stiff competition when it gets here.*
    Great news, that confirms it must have gotten damaged during all the shipping.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by orchardaudio View Post
    It happens mate. Glad we managed to sort it out as I really was sad it wasn't quite right.

That said, I think pairing it with the RPI3+ has improved this massively so it's only right to say so. It's a fantastic listen now.

You'll struggle to get this back

I'm Alan.

Excellent result re the channel balance, particularly with the increase in SQ as well.

Can't quite understand how the Pi would affect it though.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by orchardaudio View Post
    Great news, a challenge for the Katana

I doubt there will be much in it anyway but interesting to know

As I said before, if you don't like the Katana I'll eat my hat..... Shame I don't have one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Leo.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post

Maybe not the Pi but now the software version is different too and with different settings. I wonder maybe it's something along these lines.

On the performance front the Pi3B+ does have more processing power so if the player is forced to do a lot of format conversion maybe that is having an affect.

When I did my testing I did both Pi3B and Pi3B+ and results were identical, that being said for all the performance tests I only used PCM files so no special conversion was required. I will have to revisit this.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Excellent result re the channel balance, particularly with the increase in SQ as well.

I could be attributing the effect/improvment to the Pi when the act of re-homing the DAC could be the reason. Slightly loose connection etc. Anyway, all is well.

I'm Leo.

Preorder pricing end on May 31st.

When you preorder you are entered into a raffle to win my company's next product - pair of 100W monoblock amps (MSRP ~$750).

https://orchardaudio.com/shop?olsPage=products
    Last edited by orchardaudio; 15-05-2019 at 20:02.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast