+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Melco N1Z/2EX-H60 opinions

I'm Steve.

Default Melco N1Z/2EX-H60 opinions

Evening folks (well evening here anyway)

I may have an opportunity to pick up one of these (used) which would round out my system to include analog and digital.
    I've done a ton of reading and overall the brand comes quite recommended, but in my short time here I've learned to value opinions expressed here. This is the latest version with the latest software and latest apps ( which in my reading was a fairly consistent negative in the past)

My immediate focus would be more as a NAS drive to store all my digital music....something I can hardwire to my current system...but eventually I can see me embracing a digital streaming service (Likely Tidal)
    I love playing my vinyl.......but have also loved the convenience of throwing on a few hours of digital at a time....especially during work hours.

Anyway, I'm close to making a decision.....but these are pricey. Figured it would make sense to pause and listen to some feedback before I make that "down the rabbit hole" emotional decision. LOL

Any input/comments much appreciated.

Steven

I'm Rob.

I have a Melco N1A that I bought second hand. I also have a QNAP NAS on my network. I connect via wired connections with the Melco in my hi-fi rack, and the QNAP at the other end of the house (in my home office) connected via network-over-mains.

When listening to my Hi-Fi, I use a Simaudio Moon MiND network player connected directly to the Melco. I also listen to music via my computer in my office. The network player has been used with a number of DACs, and is currently connected to a PS Audio Stella GainCell DAC/pre-amp.

Firstly: I do not notice any difference is sound quality between the two data sources. It could be there but if it is, it's really subtle and I've not noticed it.

I have connected the Melco to a DAC without the Moon MiND and then I could hear a difference. Both sounded great, but via the Moon the sound was slightly more natural to my ears, the Melco direct being a little sharper. However, I'd add that I have not found a DAC with a USB input that works well with my Melco (My Bryston BDA-1 had a type one USB input - and I used a Halide Bridge S/PDIF converter instead, and the PS Audio USB input doesn't seem to work with the Melco). With this arrangement I'd control the music via a BubblePnP which works fine with the Melco as both source and renderer, though I prefer the Simaudio software when using the network player.

So what do I like with the Melco:

1. It is very easy to use. It rips CD very easily via an attached USB CD Reader. It automatically deals with the tagging and cover art which makes importing from CD a breeze. It is also easy to backup - I have a USB hard drive attached and it's very easy to run a backup.
    2. It organises my music nicely. In particular it groups album and artists by alphabetical letter. So all the artists starting with A in one folder, B in another etc. When you have a large collection that's a real boon and I've not had another NAS that does that.
    3. It fits well in my rack and the display (when playing music) is basic but easy to read from my chair across the room.
    4. I bought mine second hand, and it already had a lot of music on it. So the purchase effectively doubled my music collection. Fortunately the previous owner's choice of music complemented mine well so there were few if any duplicates.

In summary, I think my Melco is a very nice music storage system that consistently delivers good service. The music played from it, always sound excellent. However, I don't think I'd be so happy with the cost of it if I'd bought it new and therefore the purchase did not also included a lot of new music. If I'm honest, I could happily live with the QNAP as my primary NAS source, though I'm also of an IT background so the extra fiddling needed with the QNAP isn't a problem.

So if you want an easy to use good quality NAS, I'd recommend a Melco. However, If you're happy to tinker there are cheaper and uglier alternatives that I think sound as good.

I'd also add that if you do not already have a network player and have a DAC that can directly connect to the Melco, then that would make the Melco a more attractive solution.
    Rob.