+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Orchard Audio's PecanPi - Review

I'm Geoff.

Two questions:

a) were you able to assess performance using the xlr connectors and if so did the channel imbalance persist?

b) what type of power supply does it come with and did you try any other psu?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Two questions:

a) were you able to assess performance using the xlr connectors and if so did the channel imbalance persist?

b) what type of power supply does it come with and did you try any other psu?
    A) No

B) SMPS and no, I don't have an alternate psu.

I may be able to get a 9v linear to try.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Yes, I'd be happy to do so but if both units are using the same source, they both have the same stream to deal with.
    Yes, that’s what I meant but badly articulated. Take out of the equation locally ripped files using whatever source program (e.g JRiver, Audirvana etc ) on whatever platform.

Use the same high quality source such as Tidal or Qobuz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post
    Yes, that’s what I meant but badly articulated. Take out of the equation locally ripped files using whatever source program (e.g JRiver, Audirvana etc ) on whatever platform.

Use the same high quality source such as Tidal or Qobuz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ah, I see.

Oddly, I tried Tiday, wasnt overly impressed with it in as much as hearing a diffence between that and using a local NAS

I'll give roon, Tidal and the Katana, Peter is going to loan me, a run together and see what happens.

I'm Grant.

As long as they are presented to both the same it shouldn't matter where the come from
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    As long as they are presented to both the same it shouldn't matter where the come from
    Agreed.

I'm Geoff.

I see that the Pecan Pi board is available separately. As the power socket is on the Pecan Pi board, it would be a simple matter to build a case with all connections on the rear by reorienting the Pi board through 90 degrees and connecting the two boards with a ribbon connector.

I'm Leo.

Thank for taking the time to do this write up.

I'm Leo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I contacted Leo very early on in the review and asked about the channel balance and whilst he was sure it was fine, I am not. In my system, this demo unit’s soundstage is skewed to the left of centre. I have tried multiple files, settings via Jriver and played solely via Volumio but it’s the same on everything. I have tried the Allo Boss, Laptop directly and Vinyl and they were fine. I can only surmise that either:

A)Its taken a knock in transit
    B)Its developed a minor fault
    On this topic the only thing I can say is that the unit must have gotten damaged. This is because I measured the channel balance on all 5 of the demo units that I send out and on all units it was with 0.1dB which makes sense considering that all of the gain settings are with 0.1% high precision resistors.

Oli was also the 4 person to get his unit and the only one to mention the channel imbalance at all, so I have a feeling the unit got damaged during the 4th round of shipping.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by orchardaudio View Post
    On this topic the only thing I can say is that the unit must have gotten damaged. This is because I measured the channel balance on all 5 of the demo units that I send out and on all units it was with 0.1dB which makes sense considering that all of the gain settings are with 0.1% high precision resistors.

Oli was also the 4 person to get his unit and the only one to mention the channel imbalance at all, so I have a feeling the unit got damaged during the 4th round of shipping.
    It's not unlikely that something has happened to it and that's a real shame. But I will just say again, it didn't detract from being able to discern its performance level, which was excellent.

I don't know if I know anyone close enough to check at that level of accuracy but if someone wants to measure it, I'd happily get it done.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast