+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inductors

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Well that should be straightforward; make a 'Chinese copy' of the inductor: count the number of turns, measure the core diameter and measure the diameter of the wire.

Is the wire daimeter really 1mm - that seems very thick to use in a small signal current circuit?
    Barry

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    The diameter of the wire is related to the current which flows; too thin and it might overheat.

If you double up, by having two wires running in parallel, the overall bulk required to get your specified value of inductance may be too great, and achieving a consistent packing on the wind will be difficult..

Doubling the length will (very approximately) double the inductance value, which I think is not what your application will require. Why do you want silver? Are resistive losses that significant?
    Inductors in series is L1+L2 , Inductors in parallel is L1xL2 / L1+ L2

In some circuits what appears plainly physically as an inductor is actually deployed as a resistor, this is usually used in filter circuits and referred to as a FDNR
    which is a Frequency Dependent Negative Resistor Circuit. It also occurs in some power supplies where loads are grounded using inductors, that
    then transform to be resistors.
    Last edited by Light Dependant Resistor; 11-05-2019 at 19:05.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    There is no magnet in the inductors you are referring to Andy, they are air cored. By all means source the wire, but I would leave the winding to Si who has done the necessary maths and has wound a whole bunch - he does a really outstanding job too.
    He dosen't have any left, and I want a pair! That's why I'm asking dumb ass questions to try and get a pair organised!!!!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm openingabottleofwine.

It might help if we could see a photo of the inductor you wish to replicate, and if possible know the value of the inductance.
    Barry

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    He dosen't have any left, and I want a pair! That's why I'm asking dumb ass questions to try and get a pair organised!!!!
    why dont you leave it to simon as already been said,surely if he makes them he can buy some more wire??
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Andrew.

He can't source any more silver in small enough quantities hence all the questions, otherwise he'd be my first port of call.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Dennis.

If the coils in the phono stage are in the signal path, the currents will be tiny, but maybe more if in a power supply circuit, but still unlikely to be of the order of amperes.

I'm Andrew.

ok, here's the inductor coil on the Calvin board of the Paradise.

inductor.jpg
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Frank.

These do a 18AWG which is 1.02 mm. It's not enamel but their own special dielectric which they seem to say is better than P.T.F.E. At $28a foot, hardly inexpensive.

http://vhaudio.com/unicrystal-occ-silver-wire.html

If it were me, I'd get the 1mm plain silver wire and give it a couple of coats of nail varnish; whatever colour took your fancy. Less than 18" would probably be the length for one.

I'm Paul.

You could try just winding the inductors with uninsulated wire and then sliding small squares of a thin insulating material like mylar heatsink insulators in between each wind to separate them. If you cut through to the holes in the insulators there will be no electrical contact between sections as the cutouts will interlock with the wire.
    ~Paul~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast