+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL L100 upgrade advise

I'm Adrian.

Default JBL L100 upgrade advise

I would appreciate a bit of advice from a electronics wiz. I have just been given by my best friend a quite good pair of L100's which need a bit of tidying, they are working and sound pretty good.

What I an thinking of doing for now is just replacing the binding posts, easy and replacing the caps. So hear is the question the existing caps are 8uF to mid range and 3uF to the base. Would using 001-0425: 3.3uF 400Vdc Jantzen Standard Z-Cap and 001-0443: 8.2uF 400Vdc Jantzen Standard Z-Cap which are slightly higher by 0.3uf and 0.2uF make much difference?

I will probably use some better internal cable and bypass the variable pads if I need to after testing them.

Thanks

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Graham.

Hi Adrian,
    Lucky you, these are great speakers ��. I would strongly advise speaking to Paul at reference fidelity components (RFC). Hr restored the similar 4311 I now own , have a look at the news or whats new thread on his site.
    But he is a friendly chap and will give you useful advice even if you decide not to use his services.
    Get them restored well and you will have a speaker for life ��

I'm Martin.

Using the slightly higher values won't make any difference IMO.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Johan.

Brilliant website for speaker upgrades: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_L100.htm

I'm Martin.

I'd keep them original if I were you. Just rebuild the x-over like for like. JBL knew what they were doing. I don't see the point in trying to make them something that they are not and possibly wrecking what made them great speakers in the process.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'd keep them original if I were you. Just rebuild the x-over like for like. JBL knew what they were doing. I don't see the point in trying to make them something that they are not and possibly wrecking what made them great speakers in the process.
    I tend to agree with you Martin. I have been listening to them this morning, not in a ideal position as on the floor tilted up slightly using a large pebble under the front of each. They actually sound quite amazing. A very engaging and dynamic speaker, the bass and low mid is rather special, the obviously are shifting quite a lot of air. I have ordered some replacement caps and better wire, and better binding posts this morning. Once here I will dismantle and carefully rub down each cabinet and deal with the bumps, mainly on 2 rear corners with is lucky, and then treat with some teak oil. I will then rewire and set up. A friend had some suitable hard wood to make some simple stands. I will probably order some new foam fronts, to finish then off, at the moment they have black fabric, that has seen better days.

When I get going I will post some photos as I go along.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Martin.

Look forward to it. It was those speakers partnered with a JVC amp and turntable that got me into hi-fi, first really good system I had heard, would have been in 1986. Belonged to a mate's father.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Look forward to it. It was those speakers partnered with a JVC amp and turntable that got me into hi-fi, first really good system I had heard, would have been in 1986. Belonged to a mate's father.
    Funny my friend originally drove them with a JVC amp, he has had them stored for the past 20 years as his wife would not let him have them in the lounge due to size and made him bu some slim line floor standers. They do sound good being driven by my Alnic T1500, they are pretty efficient as well, at half volume things start to get rather loud.

I'm Johan.

If you want to keep the sound in the original shape, you should not change anything. Speakers like this is made by care to all components - wire as well as caps. Speakercaps lasts for decades, and the inside wire is carefully calculated to match the rest. I tried to better my speakers some years ago, using Rega-cables inside, from the posts to the filter. It altered the sound balance to something i could not like. I put the old wires again, and i am happy with them as they are now.

I'm alan.

It's that old upgrade path bullshit......

GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast