+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Inductors

I'm Andrew.

Alan, firstly many thanks. Si claims you need 1.00mm wire and you can't source it for love nor money unless your prepared to pay for many meters of the stuff. I can find 0.71mm but he's pretty sure that 1.00mm is the only way to go. It would be easy to make slight larger inductors with the 0.71mm stuff but he's not keen.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Alan, firstly many thanks. Si claims you need 1.00mm wire and you can't source it for love nor money unless your prepared to pay for many meters of the stuff. I can find 0.71mm but he's pretty sure that 1.00mm is the only way to go. It would be easy to make slight larger inductors with the 0.71mm stuff but he's not keen.
    With 0.71mm wire you need 8mm former and roughly 87 turns to make 10uH air inductor , you can decrease number of turns by increasing former size if needed

I'm Slav.

Looks like Simon coils are closer to 1uH , check with him what's the actual value

I'm Alan.

Andy
    looking at the calvin build notes the one shown in the picture looks nothing like 10uh

Good info on inductance
    https://rimstar.org/science_electron...inductance.htm
    Alan
    Last edited by 337alant; 25-06-2019 at 10:49.
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

1mm silver wire £5.99 for 1 foot (30 cm)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/11129270376...yABEgJLZ_D_BwE
    At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    Andy
    looking at the calvin build notes the one shown in the picture looks nothing like 10uh

Good info on inductance
    https://rimstar.org/science_electron...inductance.htm
    Alan
    From technical point of view this coil is not necessary in that position , I assume Calvin's intention was to reduce an overshoot with low impedance loads like headphones for example as buffer is universal and can have different applications .
    Certainly it don't hurt to use RL filter in Paradise , I assume values from 1uF up should be fine , exact value don't really matter .
    I will send an e-mail to Calvin to confirm if I'm correct on this .

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    From technical point of view this coil is not necessary in that position , I assume Calvin's intention was to reduce an overshoot with low impedance loads like headphones for example as buffer is universal and can have different applications .
    Certainly it don't hurt to use RL filter in Paradise , I assume values from 1uF up should be fine , exact value don't really matter .
    I will send an e-mail to Calvin to confirm if I'm correct on this .
    Thanks Slav.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Slav.

That was quick , here is reply from Calvin:
    "Hi Slav,

the inductor isn´t critical at all.
    I suggested it when Joachim Gerhard mentioned a tiny overshoot with certain loads ... though he measured that without a bandwidth limiting input filter iIrc.
    The RL-network compensated for that ... like a input filter would do also.
    So there´s no real technical ´requirement´ for the RL.
    JG reported that he liked the buffers sound even more with the RL.
    Values from just below 1µH up to 10µH should be fine."

While you're making changes to your Paradise I'd order 100uF/25V capacitors for C103, C203 as 16V rated caps are not up to the voltage they're under .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234