+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VHS hifi sound quality.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbo View Post
    Scart-to-HDMI converter:
    http://ebay.co.uk/itm/202568475587

useful thanks! I've got scart leads coming out of my ass, was going to bin them.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    you need a machine that can utilise the whole video section of the tape, as the linear audio track is tiny. Some machines could do this, and it was called hifi soundtrack mode.
    Agreed. and the tape speed for the audio channel is still the standard 1 7/8 ips. My VHS machine packed up a couple of weeks ago, so I threw it out along with over 50 pre-recorded tapes. Still it was over 15 years old.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    useful thanks! I've got scart leads coming out of my ass, was going to bin them.
    If you are interested Martin, I can let you have one of these for £20 (complete with HDMI cable): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-SCA...AAAOSwYipcv~nT
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Cheers Barry but the eBay one is only eight bucks.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Agreed. and the tape speed for the audio channel is still the standard 1 7/8 ips. My VHS machine packed up a couple of weeks ago, so I threw it out along with over 50 pre-recorded tapes. Still it was over 15 years old.
    That's not actually correct on the 'hi-fi' VHS machines.
    The audio is superimposed onto a high frequency carrier, can't quite remember the actual frequency but about 400kHz, then recorded along with the video using the scanning head across the whole tape width.
    Because the frequency is lower than the video recorded signal it penetrates the tape to a greater depth, so you end up with video recorded to a shallow depth and the 'hi-fi' audio recorded at a greater depth 'behind' the video.

Quite clever really.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

A lot used the NICAM system I seem to recall
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    A lot used the NICAM system I seem to recall
    Yes mine did, but I thought that was a processing system and the audio record/replay head was separate to, and outside the spinning head mechanism. Could be wrong though as I never regarded VHS as a serious audio record/replay medium.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Not vinyl specifically, but I did have a top of the range Sony back in the day which made superb recordings.
    So did I. A Sony Betamax SL-HF 100 UB bought around 1984 for £600. It was advertised as an alternative to R2R. I still have the machine in my loft, and a Hi News review. It was highly rated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    So did I. A Sony Betamax SL-HF 100 UB bought around 1984 for £600. It was advertised as an alternative to R2R. I still have the machine in my loft, and a Hi News review. It was highly rated.
    https://www.palsite.com/100spec.html

A W&F spec of < 0.005% rms is incredible, and probably 10x better than the best studio R2R machines!

They still fetch a good price: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-BETA...oAAOSwe0tcaVOw

But the one I had in mind was this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-SL-F...0AAOSwxBNc0GKl
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yes mine did, but I thought that was a processing system and the audio record/replay head was separate to, and outside the spinning head mechanism. Could be wrong though as I never regarded VHS as a serious audio record/replay medium.
    I think this is correct. NICAM required a NICAM encoded signal to be received otherwise it was redundant.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast