+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VHS hifi sound quality.

I'm Rich.

Default VHS hifi sound quality.

Hi all,

I've just watched on a youtube video about how good the sound quality is on VHS, and how it's a forgotten way to record high quality audio. I was intrigued enough to want to find out more but skeptical after watching one man's review. So, has anyone here used a good quality VHS machine to record vinyl with pleasing results?

My thinking is that it might be a handy & cheap way to compile a couple of hours of music from record, ideal for those press play and forget sessions on games night and the like.

Cheers

Rich.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Not vinyl specifically, but I did have a top of the range Sony back in the day which made superb recordings.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Chris.

Hi Rich

Both the DBX 700 and Sony PCM 501ES used video tape beyond normal analog recording.
    The DBX 700 broke many records for technological audio achievement, not even rivalled today , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dbx_Mo...udio_Processor

whereas the Sony was not quite as ambitious. Both used video tape to provide digital recording.
    Last edited by Light Dependant Resistor; 09-05-2019 at 23:42.

I'm Martin.

Not personally but I did know a bloke 30 years ago who would borrow CDs and copy them onto VHS. He reckoned the performance spec was pretty much the same as CD and they did sound pretty good. Certainly better than a typical cassette deck.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Bob.

I had a Panasonic NV-SV120 SVHS player that totally supported everything that's said about the medium's hifi quality. Pink Floyd's Pulse on VHS was a pure delight to listen to, up there with the best.

Another thing I wish I'd never sold. Got 20 quid for it off ebay - I must have been nuts.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Martin.

I've still got a Philips VR686 machine and a collection of tapes. I started compiling a film library on VHS and then DVD came out about a year later so I switched to that. Not actually sure if it is possible to connect it up to my latest TV though. The same problem Cartman encountered when he was transported 500 years into the future and wanted to hook up his Nintendo Wii.

On paper a decent VHS player should be as good as the best open reel decks. But with CDs so cheap now there's no point making copies of them anymore. Unless I suppose you wanted a particular issue that is stupidly expensive or not available to buy at all.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Rich.

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated.

By the sounds of it then it seems well worth giving it a try, especially with the prices of VHS machines these days.

I see what's out there and let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Rich.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Martin.

Should be interesting .
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

you need a machine that can utilise the whole video section of the tape, as the linear audio track is tiny. Some machines could do this, and it was called hifi soundtrack mode.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've still got a Philips VR686 machine and a collection of tapes. I started compiling a film library on VHS and then DVD came out about a year later so I switched to that. Not actually sure if it is possible to connect it up to my latest TV though. The same problem Cartman encountered when he was transported 500 years into the future and wanted to hook up his Nintendo Wii.

On paper a decent VHS player should be as good as the best open reel decks. But with CDs so cheap now there's no point making copies of them anymore. Unless I suppose you wanted a particular issue that is stupidly expensive or not available to buy at all.
    Scart-to-HDMI converter:
    http://ebay.co.uk/itm/202568475587

You want a Hi-Fi Sound one; I'd get a Panasonic. Sound quality can be really excellent.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast