+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VHS hifi sound quality.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    https://www.palsite.com/100spec.html

A W&F spec of < 0.005% rms is incredible, and probably 10x better than the best studio R2R machines!

They still fetch a good price: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-BETA...oAAOSwe0tcaVOw

But the one I had in mind was this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-SL-F...0AAOSwxBNc0GKl
    Looking at that sony tuner/recorder has brought back some long forgotten memories. I spent a few years in the 90s in music/film production, we had that set up and it got a lot of use. Plus, whenever we stayed in a hotel and the TV had user functionality enabled, we'd plumb it in and watch whatever we had with us instead of the dire TV offerings. Hadn't thought about that for years, it's funny what brings memories back.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Frank.

I'd like your opinions on this. A few yrs ago I bought a panasonic nv fs200 svhs( charity shop) with the intentions of using it purely for audio recordings.Also bought about 40 svhs cassettes. Never did anything with them, my thinking was whatever I copy is going to be less than the original source but maybe with a different sound. I've got an inkling to finally have a play around with it, using a a digital source, radio or even youtube. I am aware of copyright but it is just for amusement. I,ve a couple of denon av amps, an avc3800 and an avr2307, which I think would be better than ordinary hifi amps, because they have toslink connections from a smart tv. Thoughts please
    Thanks Frank

I'm Richard.

As above, you want SVHS, not VHS. I still have dedicated audio only backups of my best vinyl on SVHS - no way to fecking play them anymore, of course It sounded very good, I preferred top end Panasonic VCRs. All bettered by ripping to disc nowadays ai guess.

I'm Pete.

Hi Richard

If you really want to play those SVHS tapes and you prefer a Panasonic SVHS machine to play them on I am about to "ebay" a Panasonic NV-HS830B-S in fairly good condition - works well, few scuff marks on case. Boxed with manual.

I have a few pre-recorded tapes, mainly 70's rock, and some used blanks, mainly VHS that I would be happy to include.

If interested PM me to discuss further.

I'm Frank.

Had a play around at the weekend and tried recording some concerts on bbc sounds onto svhs. My tv only has SPDIF sound out, no joy, either because the tv has a block on the digital out or , as the manual of the Denon avc3800 states " you can't record from a digital source." So most likely both. Rigged up the NV-fs200B to sound out on an old desktop (vista) and it worked perfectly. Recorded in lp mode so was able to get six 1 hour concerts on a fujifilm 180 svhs cassette. I couldn't discern any noticeable difference to playback on the tape and the source. I also tried one of the concerts in sp mode. I thought it sounded a little fuller although opinion on this seems to differ. It would be neater not to have to go through the desktop so any suggestions on this would be appreciated. The desktop is connected via a network cable .I only have adsl, no fibre available where I live so didn't want to trust wifi.

I'm Martin.

get a digital to analogue converter and run the sp/dif out of the telly into that, then into the VCR.

There's no way I can think of doing it that won't involve some sort of box in between.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm martin.

I've been using a Panasonic AG-7350 to record on 3 hours SVHS - I can't hear any differences between the recording and the LP.
    3 hours of playback! No turning records! No wearing out the stylus! Occasional dropouts :-(

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I remember having a Sony SLV-R1000 back in the day and making some great recordings with it.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Sandy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    I remember having a Sony SLV-R1000 back in the day and making some great recordings with it.
    I had an AKAI top of the range VCR in 1990, audio level meters etc, could record at different speeds I recall. Blood excellent audio recording quality. Some bugger broke into the flat and stole it along with half my CD collection. Left the remote control though, the most complex I'd ever seen. Had pages that you turned to use different functions... VSF600 or something had 4 heads!!

Found one on ebay! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-A...8AAOSwumNff4jT

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes, I remember the instructions that came with the Sony, it was like a phone book lol.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast