+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South London, Hi everyone

I'm Joseph.

Default South London, Hi everyone

Hi there, new to the forum, just saying Hi.

After years of not really listening to music due to life and work, i unexpectedly had some days off recently, and got my old student hifi stuff out. Really been enjoying my time listening.

I have a 3m by 4m room where I am able to shut the door and listen. It is full of the usual spare room junk. Im listening to flac files from my computer, into a cambridge audio P500/C500, into mission 701s. This was stuff I bought years ago, from richer sounds, knowing nothing at all.

One thing I particularly enjoy at the moment is listening to music that has previously passed me by. For example, I've used todays day off to listen to some Pink Floyd, Philip Glass, and Vijay Iyer.

I have promised myself to not spend anything for a while, until I get a chance to actually hear different equipment and try and decide based on experience, rather than written reviews alone. We will see if I can stick to that!

Having said that, does anyone have any recommendations where I can hear different equipment? I suppose its going to be second hand hifi shops. I am in South London.

Thanks

Joe

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Joseph. Welcome to AOS.

There are quite a few members scattered around London, with a variety of equipment. If you want to listen to anything of a specific type, you could post in the Blank Canvas section asking for a demo. I'm sure folks could oblige.

Feel free to join in the chat, there's a lot going on and everybody is friendly.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Hi Joseph,welcome to the forum.

Nothing wrong with what you have although if you wanted to improve things the loudspeakers would be the place to start. I think that there is an annual hi-fi show in central London https://festivalofsound.co.uk/ - no dates for this year yet but a good way to get a listen to lots of different systems without travelling too far.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Joseph.

Thanks Shane, Geoff and Martin for the welcome

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Joseph.

Since you bought your gear from Richer Sounds, is there a branch near you where you cound listen to some recent offerings?

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Joseph.

Hi Barry, good shout , I think the Bromley one would be closest. To be honest I had assumed richer sounds might not be the best place to listen to and buy gear, that they would sell me what they had, and I would not know any better.

But now you’ve suggested it, it makes sense ! I will give it a visit and see what they have.

Please excuse if this is a bad question to be asking, but what sort of difference could I expect if I spent £200 / £500 / £1000 on some speakers? I realise this ignores so many variables, but having said that, I have a serious interest in home coffee , and I feel a sensible-ish answer is possible for coffee equipment. I wonder if it is like that for hifi, or if hifi involves more subjective value.

Best

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by oddknack View Post
    Hi Barry, good shout , I think the Bromley one would be closest. To be honest I had assumed richer sounds might not be the best place to listen to and buy gear, that they would sell me what they had, and I would not know any better.

But now you’ve suggested it, it makes sense ! I will give it a visit and see what they have.

Please excuse if this is a bad question to be asking, but what sort of difference could I expect if I spent £200 / £500 / £1000 on some speakers? I realise this ignores so many variables, but having said that, I have a serious interest in home coffee , and I feel a sensible-ish answer is possible for coffee equipment. I wonder if it is like that for hifi, or if hifi involves more subjective value.

Best

Joe
    To be honest, I would have thought you would need to spend £500 on new speakers to hear an improvement. Of course if you look in the used market there are some excellent older speakers to be had for a lot less. But the problem for you is knowing what speakers are best for you; what best suits your ears, and what best fits in with your living/listening room.

So go to Richer Sounds and have a listen to what is available in your price range. Don't let them rush you or put pressure on you, and expect to spend at least an hour or two listening to a few models. At the same time try to listen to friends' systems that may include some classic/vintage speakers - and if you prefer these then you can look on eBay to see if they are available and what a typical pair will cost.

Regarding your coffee maker analogy, well it would be best to direct your question to the Baristas were have here on AoS.
    Barry

I'm Joseph.

Thank you for the good advice

I'm M.

Quote Originally Posted by oddknack View Post

Best

Joe

Hi Joe. You could always try Billy Bee sounds in Lee High Rd they are very helpful and normally have some 2nd hand kit that has been traded in you could have a listen to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast