+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SUT Question...

I'm Russell.

Default SUT Question...

I'm very new to the world of MC cartridges so please bear with me here.

I'm currently using a Goldring Eroica L MC cartridge with an output 0.25mV running into my Dynavector 100P Phono Stage which has 63db of gain & 100 ohm loading.

As the output is still very quiet, I've bough a used 1:15 SUT (Klaus Hurler with BD transformers) which is really for a Denon 103r but thought I'd give it a whirl but I haven't noticed any volume output difference at all (in fact if anything it appears quieter than when using the DV MC stage on it's own).

Have I done something wrong here is it just the SUT I've got isn't compatible with my cartridge or Phono Stage?

Thanks.

I'm Peter.

There are others with more knowledge than I, so wait for others to respond before doing anything drastic.

I think a ratio of 1:15 (Medium) is a bit on the low side for your particular cartridge and a Ratio of 1:20 may be more suitable.

Mind you, I’m not a SUT expert, so take this advice with a pinch of salt and wait for more expert advice from others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

What is the spec of your MM Input?
    If it is the typical 40dB gain then using a 15:1 SUT puts you at virtually the same gain levels as going direct to your MC input.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    What is the spec of your MM Input?
    If it is the typical 40dB gain then using a 15:1 SUT puts you at virtually the same gain levels as going direct to your MC input.
    Not sure of the gain on the MM input on the P100 but I recall reading about 63db?

As you mention though, the current 1:15 SUT I'm using through the MM is probably slightly less in volume in going straight into my MC input so no advantage at all.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Try a 1-20 ratio, my puresound T10 is 1-18 or 1-36 and the 1-18 gives higher output I believe because it matches my AT33EV better.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm openingabottleofwine.

You really need a 1:20 turns ratio SUT. This will boost the 0.25mV output of the cartridge to 5mV, and at the same time will present an impedance to the cartridge of ~120 Ohm.
    Barry

I'm James.

Does your phono stage have a phono enhancer in it, and if so is it switched on by any chance? That might be a cause? Worth playing with anyway..

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Russell.

Thanks for everyone’s replies.

I’ve now bought a Denon 103r which I’m running with the 1:15 SUT through the MM input on my Nova Fidelity X40 & very happy!

+ Reply to Thread