+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M2Tech HiFace USB Thingy

I'm Hugo.

Default M2Tech HiFace USB Thingy

I recently bought Lovejoy's HiFace USB audio adapter and after a bit of head scratching, managed to get it and Foobar working properly on my mid-spec HP laptop, running XP. Rich gave me a a few good tips, including using ASIO to bypass the XP audio controls.

Initially, I just ripped a familiar CD (Solveig Slettahjell's 'Silver') into Foobar, and then connected the laptop to my Lyngdorf digital amp using the same MIT Shotgun cable that I use for the CD transport. The sound that greeted me was considerably more colourful than the transport usually produces, with no apparent loss of other musical qualities. Time will tell, of course, but this is a promising start!

Fortified by that little experiment, I downloaded Carol Kidd's 'All My Tomorrows' from Linn in 24/96 FLAC. I own this album in both CD and vinyl and I like it, so it's a good reference. After a lengthy download, the laptop was connected up as before. Ye Gods! What clarity! What depth of sound and a total sense of ease! Unlike the CD version, I found myself listening much louder than usual because of the total lack of stress to the sound. I know that this particular album is not compressed in the normal pop sense, but in comparison to the 24/96 version, the CD does sound compressed and a little raw edged. I'm actually very surprised that the added bit depth can have such an effect on overall dynamics. The LP (an original ALOI issue) sounds slightly indistinct and comes very much second to the 24/96 version, but still more enjoyable than the CD.

So, I find myself converted to the idea of computer based audio; at least Hi-Res audio. I really don't know how the HiFace thing can be sold for so little money when it produces such a wonderful sound. It's also reassuring that, when fed the right quality digits, my Lyngdorf amp is truly stunning. I kind of knew that, since the A to D input card operates at 24/96, with very good results but the HiFace confirms that without doubt.

Out of curiosity, I loaded up Foobar, ASIO and the Carol Kidd album onto my little Advent Netbook (it's the MSI Wind underneath the logo). It worked, but the sound was not as interesting or absorbing as before - I assume that's because the FLAC conversion stretches the little Atom processor too far.

I will look for a sub-notebook that packs a reasonable punch at reasonable cost (also with a built in optical drive) - can anyone recommend anything that's really good value?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes,the hi rez stuff is rather good isn't it,at least on well recorded stuff.It's what I'm spending the majority of time listening to on the Touch.Cd level stuff can still sound good,but to my ears does not give the depth of soundstage or sense of ease of a good hi rez.Closer to vinyl methinks.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Good selection of 24/96 at the HDTracks website.

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Not bad little things at all, an easy cheap option of supplying the dac quality up to 24/192 recordings
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm andrew.

You should try JKeny's battery powered version.

I'm Keith.

Or M2 Tech's own soon to be released 'evo'!
    Cessaro Horn Acoutics,David Wright ,Mola-Mola , Weiss MAN301,Dynavector XV1- Manger Loudspeakers Grimm Audio LS1,worlds best sounding loudspeaker.
    Mini DSP digital signal processing.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

I'm John.

I'm happy for anybody to evaluate my modified version against an 'Evo' or stock Hiface on a sale or return basis - let the customer evaluate the options themselves.

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by roob View Post
    You should try JKeny's battery powered version.
    How is it usually powered?
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    How is it usually powered?
    From the USB 5V

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by jkeny View Post
    From the USB 5V
    Doesn't it need to be plugged into a USB port? Forgive the daft questions
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast