+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the 5 volt USB supply from a computer clean

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
    I use one of these, along with a couple a similar ex Maplin batteries/chargers with all my Pi's and would not go back to any mains tethered device.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUAF-Portab.../dp/B07M6JFCLZ

The HUAF in particular is one i like - it has a quality feel, amazing battery life and can power 2x 2.5 amp devices and a 1x 1amp device at the same time should you wish.

Its a bit bigger and heavier than it may look - about the size of an iphone 6 plus and slightly heavier.

Its also good for charging my iphone and bluetooth earphones so gets plenty of use.

Mel
    Thanks Mel, that's an interesting alternative. Would I be right in saying that as its a battery in complete isolation there can be no distortion noise, or does the fact its a sensing charger mean there is something else electrical going on.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Mel.

It is a 'smart' battery in that if the power draw is removed then the unit switches off. This i find useful as sending a power off command to the pi (via wifi) also switches off the battery.

I hear no degradation using this type of unit and would not move to anything else. I do have an Audiophinics linear psu but have not used it with the pi's since starting down the battery route.

Mel

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    On the back of the OP question, if an item of kit asks for 5v 3a to power it is it ok to feed it 5v 2a or will that cause problems?
    Often the spec for kit in question will be over estimating what is required. I usually like to measure the actual current that the kit will take.

Also most Chinese power supplies over specify what you can actually get from them. The sellers presume that because it has a, say, 50VA transformer fitted then you can get V times A DC output power equalling 50, which you most definitely can't> There are losses associated with conversion from AC (the transformer rating) to DC (the output rating).
    As a rule of thumb say 2/3 of the published current specification.

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Thanks Alan

Sounds a bit complicated I will just buy a 5v 3a supply I think.

Andy
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage