+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Munich High End Show 2019

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    SME own Loricraft, who own Garrard trade name etc, so SME already can do what they like I guess.
    Not necessarily the case: SME might have bought the Loricraft business, but Terry might still retain the rights to the name "Garrard".

But I expect SME have also bought the rights to the name; they would be foolish not to.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

I might be wrong but I think Loricraft bought the right to use the name, not the rights to the name. But that was a long time ago the situation may have changed since.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Justin.

If you forget about the price of the Tellytubby speakers they are good fun, I maintain.

And that's just it. You HAVE to forget about the price of things at Munich and enjoy what you hear. Comedy pricing is everywhere.

For comedy pricing you need good marketing.... well, maybe. Check out the gallery at the AskJa website.

I have taken way too many pics which makes sorting it all out a nightmare...

I'm Justin.

In fact I can't be arsed...

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post

For comedy pricing you need good marketing.... well, maybe. Check out the gallery at the AskJa website.
    They look a lot better in white, is my conclusion from looking at that link. And it only has one pic of them in white and about ten in bathroom accessory blue. Bit of a fail there.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Well my take on the show was that not much had moved on from two years ago when I was last there. Speaker-wise, there were fewer electrostatics (it seemed) but quite a thing going on for field coils, coming out of China. I liked the h0RNS room and actually there were quite a few good horn systems around as well as some truly terrible ones. The worst systems were as previously, very shiny very flashly finished speakers, mega-power solid state, attached to grainy, awful streaming systems. It beggars belief that their makers thought some of these systems worthy of display, let alone worthy of six figure price tags.

Quite a few class D amps around at ever increasing prices (£20k anyone? seriously?) they are getting there but still short of what a proper valve amp can do.

I can't say I thought much of those Alsyyvox panels, for me for all their power and bass control the soundstage they threw was flat as a pancake and surprisingly narrow. Wouldn't be my thing at all. (Justin's Apogees are much better in my view).

I thought the Audio Note room was pretty good, though IMO what all that mega-expensive front end and amplification showed up was that AN-Es can only be taken so far, even in ideal conditions (small room, stuck in corners etc). I really don't understand why PQ hasn't put some money into developing a better speaker range. I really wonder what that kit would sound with a better speaker choice. Still, the AN-S9 SUT, Io Limited, TT3 front end was utterly maginificent even if it did remind the audience that the uber-pricey new DAC still sounded like digital. For the first time at an Audio Note demo I saw them streaming something from a computer something PQ would never have countenanced a few years back. I guess that's the way the wind is blowing.

My favourite room was Kevin's room (Definitive) showing off the LV Olympians with Kondo amplification and a vinyl front end that I didn't get to properly inspect as the room was too focused on listening - the fact he held a full house spellbound for two full sides of chamber music (in a show dominated by girl-with-guitar, easy-listening jazz and the inescapable Pink Floyd) surely says something. It did the orchestral stuff pretty well too. Probably not one for the metal-heads though.

Tim de P did a great job with his EAR kit, just a sold, roundly musical job whether from vinyl, tape or CD. One of the best rooms in my view. Monoblocked EAR 861 power amps doing a superb job.

The Thomas Mayer room was a highlight, the first set of open baffles I've heard to really do subtlety and soundstage, the last pair (well several pairs) I heard was at the owner of SW1X which were so bad they were enough to put me off open baffles for life - coarse, papery, timbre a mile off, lumpy response - anyway these were the opposite. Thomas Mayer had his D3a phono stage and a variable EQ mono version on display and had I had 14k Euros each down the back of the sofa I'd have been away with them. Very, very good indeed. Some Count Basie on 78 utterly disgraced what was coming out of some six figure streaming systems from a musical perspective.

My terrible pic - phono stage, preamp and mono phono with variable EQ (top deck is the business end, power supplies on the bottom):

I'm sure Justin will be posting pics of the rest of the show but I'll just mention a few of my highlights, first was what I think is a very cheap way into record cleaning from Keith Monks ... space-saving and slower/less vacuum and a shade noisier than than their bigger machines, list on this will be £795 on Amazon

You read it here first - Thorens are reissuing the TD124, though disappointingly as direct drive rather than as an idler. I didn't get an idea of price but it's sure to be cheaper than the £17k reissue of the Garrard 301. The Thorens reissue misses the point - even as a Thorens owner I see it as an ugly duckling compared to the Garrard 301 and 401, but it routinely out performs both especially in Schopper form. It's not the looks that made it popular. It's interesting that new owners SME went for the 301 as a reissue over the 401, again all other things being equal (and both can be extensively improved from standard) the 401 is the better machine, but the 301 is such a beauty ...

Finally a comment on this one that Justin posted already, 440k euros for a Tellytubby play set, I've heard at least half a dozen systems of members here that sounded better (including mine I should add). It's a piss take.

that rcm looks like something knocked up in someone's shed, I reckon the td124 is better looking than the 301 and 401, but the new one looks naff.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Not necessarily the case: SME might have bought the Loricraft business, but Terry might still retain the rights to the name "Garrard".

But I expect SME have also bought the rights to the name; they would be foolish not to.
    Sme purchased the rights to the name from the Brazilian owner, they have now opened a Garrard Factory in swindon where terry will be working from with the assistance of sme trained staff.

The 301 as shown in Munich is a serviced unit, with a solid walnut plinth with stainless steel struts coupled with the same dampening material as used in the model 10 and new sme model 12, the feet are a custom version of the model 30 plinth with further isolation supplied with the M12R tonearm all in for a whopping £12500.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    that rcm looks like something knocked up in someone's shed, I reckon the td124 is better looking than the 301 and 401, but the new one looks naff.
    To be fair it looks better in real life than in my really shit photo. I think it's footprint is quite appealing and the cleaning will be pretty effective given it's the nozzle type as used by KM and Loricraft.

The TD124 by contrast is even worse than it looks in my pic, what possessed them to use that flat dark grey?

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    If you forget about the price of the Tellytubby speakers they are good fun, I maintain.

And that's just it. You HAVE to forget about the price of things at Munich and enjoy what you hear. Comedy pricing is everywhere.

I have taken way too many pics which makes sorting it all out a nightmare...
    Brilliant web site. I wonder whose yacht - Vladimir Putin's perhaps?

Actually to be fair I thought the speakers did quite well from a pair of 300bs. When I asked the price I thought he said 140k Euros to start with and that almost seemed like 'yeah I guess' in a Munich context. But 440k is ... well ...

I'm Justin.

I'll upload all my pics somewhere so anyone can download them in one go. Might take a while.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast