+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Munich High End Show 2019

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post

You read it here first - Thorens are reissuing the TD124, though disappointingly as direct drive rather than as an idler. I didn't get an idea of price but it's sure to be cheaper than the £17k reissue of the Garrard 301. The Thorens reissue misses the point - even as a Thorens owner I see it as an ugly duckling compared to the Garrard 301 and 401, but it routinely out performs both especially in Schopper form. It's not the looks that made it popular. It's interesting that new owners SME went for the 301 as a reissue over the 401, again all other things being equal (and both can be extensively improved from standard) the 401 is the better machine, but the 301 is such a beauty ...

Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder - I love the looks of the TD124/II and have three of them. The only 301 I like the look of is the original grey hammertone finish version.

Is the Thorens shown in the picture the new direct drive offering? TD124/III ? And is the arm a revamped BD-12S or a revamped EMT 929? Both are, IMO, somewhat 'agricultural' in their construction and performance, and I would hope and expect the new arm to be much improved.
    Barry

I'm Neil.

As SME, now own Loricraft, who own the Garrard name, not surprised to see that there will be a Garrard re issue. Also not surprised it will be a 301, rather than 401.

Where will that leave Classic Record Company and their modernized Garrard's Which by virtue of having new plinths, new bearing, platters etc are not refurbished originals as Audio Grails are, but rather almost sort of what SME/Garrard will be doing. There are also several US companies doing similar to CRC, but more so.

Law suits anyone?

Watch this space
    Regards Neil

I'm Martin.

Would the patent on the original Garrard design still be active? Seems unlikely.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Would the patent on the original Garrard design still be active? Seems unlikely.
    Not sure, but I know Terry of Loricraft owns the trade name, and some design elements, what exactly I don't know. He bought all that from the company that bought the remains of Garrard. I can't recall who that is, someone in south America I think.
    Regards Neil

I'm Martin.

Gradiente Brazil.

I know Loricraft have the right to use the name, and if you are refurbing existing decks like Audio Grail that is not an issue either. The patent on the design must have expired. So as long as you don't use the Garrard name I'd guess you can market whatever you like, exact copies even. Badge them as 'Gerrard'.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Gradiente Brazil.

I know Loricraft have the right to use the name, and if you are refurbing existing decks like Audio Grail that is not an issue either. The patent on the design must have expired. So as long as you don't use the Garrard name I'd guess you can market whatever you like, exact copies even. Badge them as 'Gerrard'.
    I cant comment, time will tell if there is an issue.

Yes, that the name. I thought it was Brazil.
    Regards Neil

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder - I love the looks of the TD124/II and have three of them. The only 301 I like the look of is the original grey hammertone finish version.

Is the Thorens shown in the picture the new direct drive offering? TD124/III ? And is the arm a revamped BD-12S or a revamped EMT 929? Both are, IMO, somewhat 'agricultural' in their construction and performance, and I would hope and expect the new arm to be much improved.

The arm appears to be some kind of recreation of a BD12S. I agree it looked a bit basic but I guess Thorens themselves have no arm that would really work, their more modern arms would be 'wrong'. Personally I didn't like it much, the case appears to be thick plastic rather than metal, it only does 33 and 45, and the DD gubbins looked a bit meh (I did see under the platter but wasn't quick enough to take a pic). Frankly it looks like a toy.

At least SME did the retro thing properly and £12k (sorry I must have misheard the £17k) is possibly unsurprising given this won't be a volume seller and the market positioning of the SME brand's TTs. Be interesting how it performs, given how knowledge has been built over the intervening 60 years about how to make a high-performing, whisper-quiet idler, that wasn't the case in the 50s heyday of the original 301. Personally I'm not a fan of the SME belt drive TTs they sound like CD players to my ears though I know they have their fans.

I'm James.

I suspect the bearing and idler mechanism will be upgraded significantly from the ropey 301 I used to own.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm openingabottleofwine.

AFAIK, patents (in the UK) are granted for an initial period of seven years and can be renewed, if applied for twice. So a maximum of 21 years.

It was the expiry of Ortofon's patent on the stereo moving coil cartridge in the late '80s, that saw the explosion of Japanese made MC designs.

I don't believe there is a lifetime for registered trademarks, so if Loricraft own rights to the the name, then SME would have to buy it of them. But there would no problem in copying (and presumably improving) a '301'. The model designation '401' and '501' have already be assigned, and I believe there was a '601' in development. So the new deck will either be a '601' or a '701'. If SME want to do the job properly, they will buy the trademark and call the new deck the 'SME "Garrard"'.
    Barry

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    AFAIK, patents (in the UK) are granted for an initial period of seven years and can be renewed, if applied for twice. So a maximum of 21 years.

It was the expiry of Ortofon's patent on the stereo moving coil cartridge in the late '80s, that saw the explosion of Japanese made MC designs.

I don't believe there is a lifetime for registered trademarks, so if Loricraft own rights to the the name, then SME would have to buy it of them. But there would no problem in copying (and presumably improving) a '301'. The model designation '401' and '501' have already be assigned, and I believe there was a '601' in development. So the new deck will either be a '601' or a '701'. If SME want to do the job properly, they will buy the trademark and call the new deck the 'SME "Garrard"'.
    SME own Loricraft, who own Garrard trade name etc, so SME already can do what they like I guess.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast