+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I hardwire my Mac to my Network

I'm Tony.

I'd be wary of buying a non Apple connector, I bought a cheap £6 aftermarket lightening>Hdmi adaptor to watch movies on my phone>LCD TV when I was abroad. I have 'bought' the movies from the Apple store/itunes legitimately but I couldn't play the movies on a TV from the phone I could however see the phone and all the other stuff from the phone on the TV but no movies.

The Apple connector is £50 and apparently works for movies to a TV via the phone/connector but Apple can and have changed what that connector does with subsequent upgrades, also there's a small PCB inside the connector which Apple upgrade the software on.

Tony

I'm Grant.

yup, you can never tell if they have tampered with some aspect to screw more cash out of you. Was with them for ages and they are great products but their greed knows no end
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    yup, you can never tell if they have tampered with some aspect to screw more cash out of you. Was with them for ages and they are great products but their greed knows no end
    100% agree with this. Never started this way but their products of late force you to buy newer comparable ancillaries purely to squeeze more money out of their existing customers.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    100% agree with this. Never started this way but their products of late force you to buy newer comparable ancillaries purely to squeeze more money out of their existing customers.

There's nothing really wrong with that business model Paul, Apple products are excellent although I'd disagree that they are pricey, yes maybe to buy but the products (phones and laptops & computers) certainly hold their value so cost of ownership isn't really that expensive especially if you keep their laptops and phones for a few years, my current MacBook Pro is a mid 2015 retina model and it's still as good as the day that I bought it.

I bought an HP Spectre laptop a couple of months ago (need it for business use). I bought it second hand and paid £725 for it, it was purchased on January 19th 2019 for £1199, that's some hit on a three month old laptop.

And, being honest I'm really struggling to use WIN 10 but I'll need to get used to it but Apple stuff just works, buy a new laptop and it hooks up to your phone and all of your settings are on the laptop ready to use, text, email etc etc not the case with Windows 10 I've still not managed to set up an email account on the HP.

Apple MacBook pros three and four year old are still about the best part of a grand to buy SH.

However £50 for an adaptor is pretty much in rip off territory but the thing is that it works whereas the aftermarket one was a completely waste of money.

I'm Paul.

Tony you are right about their laptops and desktops. They are well worth the money and work well for many years. I've got a macbook air and apart from it not allowing a wired Internet connection I'm very happy with it.

Not so their phones though both in terms longevity and resale value. In fact the iPhone has changed very little since its 7 iteration and yet the cost of owning that one and its latest one has virtually doubled. There are now dozens of different phones that do what any iPhone can do and in some instances surpass it yet apple still believe they can overcharge.

To me they take advantage of their loyal fan base which as you may have guessed does not include me

Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Amptastic Mini-1

I'm Grant.

Yup I ended up with a Sony phone. Saved a fortune and its a great thing.
    As for laptops my last one I still use 8hrs plus a day. The new one is a zbook for my Hifi and it's brilliant little thing too.
    Google and Firefox keeps all my stuff connected
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    Tony you are right about their laptops and desktops. They are well worth the money and work well for many years. I've got a macbook air and apart from it not allowing a wired Internet connection I'm very happy with it.

Not so their phones though both in terms longevity and resale value. In fact the iPhone has changed very little since its 7 iteration and yet the cost of owning that one and its latest one has virtually doubled. There are now dozens of different phones that do what any iPhone can do and in some instances surpass it yet apple still believe they can overcharge.

To me they take advantage of their loyal fan base which as you may have guessed does not include me

Let us know if the adaptor works Paul, can't quite get my head round a laptop without a wired internet connection though.

In saying that though I've never used a wired internet connection for my MacBook pro (or my old Sony Viao which is about 10 years old now) I'm not even sure the MBP has a socket for wired internet although there are two sockets with lightening symbols on them?

Just checked they're thunderbolt sockets so presumably you can use those for wired internet?

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    Let us know if the adaptor works Paul, can't quite get my head round a laptop without a wired internet connection though.

In saying that though I've never used a wired internet connection for my MacBook pro (or my old Sony Viao which is about 10 years old now) I'm not even sure the MBP has a socket for wired internet although there are two sockets with lightening symbols on them?

Just checked they're thunderbolt sockets so presumably you can use those for wired internet?
    Yeah will do, just getting the odd drop out here and there with upsampled content I'm hoping will be irradicated by this device but that is of course only if it works as intended.

I shall report back in due course.

Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Amptastic Mini-1

I'm Dave.

I think that wired comms are usually better, but it does depend what you want them for. I always assumed that wired would obvously be better, and deliver higher data rates, but in one flat we owned to my surprise wireless gave the same data rates as a Powerline link - though I appreciate that Powerline links are not quite the same as a truly wired link. In one room in another house I found that downloads across the room to a computer for updates took forwever (well 40-50 minutes) via wireless and just a minute or so via a dedicated cable - this really was a cable that time. However, trailing a cable across the living room floor is not something which others in the house appreciate as a permanent "solution".

Cables can get in the way, and if you have to go a long way can be a pain to get through the walls etc., and the benefits, if any, may be marginal.

Re Apple - yes the newer laptop models don't have ethernet, though there are adapters which work quite well. I have one, but in all honesty hardly ever use it. The point (for me) is that a laptop is portable, and can be moved around, and (in theory) I don't use it for anything which requires "serious" work. However, over the last year or so, I have been using the laptop more and more, and although I do prefer using a desktop with a large screen, it just doesn't happen much these days. Also my laptop is actually faster for some work, as it has an i7 processor, and USB 3, whereas my iMacs have slower processors, and only USB 2 - which can be a real pain nowadays. If I live long enough I'll get a new iMac and push the limits on speed etc., but right now that's not going to happen as other things have higher priority.

Lastly - the Apple Pencil which I have been using with my iPad Pro seems to have packed up completely in the last week. Total pita - I'll have to see if I can get Apple to replace it, or give me something in return. Given the amount of use I had out of it (not a lot), that seems really poor to me. I have tried the obvious things - trying to make sure it's charged up, and doing resets etc. on the iPad. So while I generally do like Apple, and I don't think they are really too overpriced as I do appreciate the fact that mostly things "just work" - which I thought was hardly ever the case with Windows - in some areas Apple are perhaps still providing poor service and unreliable products. I will be sad if I can't get the pencil to work, or a replacement or compensation, but I wouldn't rush to buy another one.
    Dave

I'm Paul.

Picked the adapter up yesterday. Switched WiFi off on the macbook and it worked straight out the box. Absolutely no configuration required. Very impressed.

USB fits snuggly into the port on the mac and so does the ethernet into the adapter.

£6 well spent so far!

Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Amptastic Mini-1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast