+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meridian 506.24 CDP ( a bit poorly )

I'm Andrew.

Default Meridian 506.24 CDP ( a bit poorly )

I bought this near mint beauty knowing that it no longer reads discs , seems to be a common fault with these but thankfully the laser is readily available online but none of them look the same as this one ( see last picture) any advice ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

Unbelievable!! It’s now working

I'm Adrian.

What does it do when you insert a disc?

Does it just say no disc? Or does it misread?

The main error with these as far as I am aware is that the grease on the mechanism over years can harden and then stop the laser from being able to move correctly.

I think it is the same mechanism as in the 508, which I have, and mine had an issue where it would skip stop reading or not load a disc. I sent it to a very good chap who took the mechanism out cleaned it all and re-greased it with white plastic grease. He also supplied me with a spare tray(these are very hard to get).

If it it the laser that has failed see https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-OPTIC...sAAOSwB9xXPIRy

Also read this very informative http://liquidaudio.com.au/meridian-5...-fault-repair/
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Geoff.

The sound quality should be very good, it's an excellent player.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    What does it do when you insert a disc?

Does it just say no disc? Or does it misread?

The main error with these as far as I am aware is that the grease on the mechanism over years can harden and then stop the laser from being able to move correctly.

I think it is the same mechanism as in the 508, which I have, and mine had an issue where it would skip stop reading or not load a disc. I sent it to a very good chap who took the mechanism out cleaned it all and re-greased it with white plastic grease. He also supplied me with a spare tray(these are very hard to get).

If it it the laser that has failed see https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-OPTIC...sAAOSwB9xXPIRy

Also read this very informative http://liquidaudio.com.au/meridian-5...-fault-repair/
    It’s now working perfectly well , I did read a tip that said to push the cd down a little which I did and hey presto ! It clearly dislodged the transport in some way , I will grease it up anyway.
    The remote is fully working too , happy days .

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    It’s now working perfectly well , I did read a tip that said to push the cd down a little which I did and hey presto ! It clearly dislodged the transport in some way , I will grease it up anyway.
    The remote is fully working too , happy days .

It sounds as if hardened grease has possibly forced the rack upwards away from drive sprocket. I would resist using it too much until you have inspected it, cleaned and re-greased. The mechanism was virtually impossible to get 5 years ago, so if yours fails or gets damaged it could be game over.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    It sounds as if hardened grease has possibly forced the rack upwards away from drive sprocket. I would resist using it too much until you have inspected it, cleaned and re-greased. The mechanism was virtually impossible to get 5 years ago, so if yours fails or gets damaged it could be game over.
    Ok Adrian, I’ll follow your advice, cheers.

I'm Andrew.

Default Meridian 506.24 CDP ( a bit poorly )

Done ! All cleaned up and greasy , working every time and opening better .
    Cheers

I'm Andrew.

Sounds bloody good

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    Sounds bloody good
    It would do. I have the 507, which is largely the same unit apart from the drawer mech and it sounds excellent. You'd probably have to go to a grand or two's worth of Wadia or Mark Levinson to significantly better it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast