+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: View from the wild Welsh Marches plus unexpurgated grumbling.

  1. #21
    Join Date: Mar 2014

    Location: Hay-on-Wye

    Posts: 7
    I'm Andrew.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    The first thing that comes to mind is the flute solo on the Jethro Tull Auqalung album. That’s kind of obvious, really, but there aren’t too many flutes in rock music.

    Welcome to the forum! You’ll fit right in.

    Russell
    Ian Anderson? A unique talent. Special. But let me try to turn your head – and without looking too far from the ‘Tull’s 70’s heyday.

    I got into Caravan absolutely by accident. Back in the 70’s, still at school, I got a copy of the compilation Canterbury Tales in a swap with a mate. I can’t remember what I gave in return, but I know I disliked it enough that I took the Caravan LPs in a swap despite the fact that I’d never heard of them. Anyway, I liked the cover. I was instantly hooked – and love ‘em still.

    Caravan looked pretty much your regulation ‘70’s rock outfit EXCEPT for their mysterious not-quite-a-proper-member Jimmy Hastings – big bruvver of the band’s singer/guitarist Pye Hastings. You could see why they wouldn’t let him join – ‘cos then he’d have to be in the band photos. Even then he looked like a bank manager (the way bank managers used to look – not the spiv-insurance salesmen fresh out of 6th form we have now).

    Note: when trying to describe band members from the 70’s in terms of job roles, very few careers are permitted. This conforms to the same principal that says that when trying to describe the size of a country, the only permissible points of reference are Wales, Ireland and the Isle of Wight. How lucky are we – having these global reference points right on our doorstep? Think how much harder life is for the good people of Memphis, Moscow or Mombai, having to learn about Eire, Cymru or Insula Vectis before being adequately able to explain to visitors quite how effin’ huge their country is? It’s the same with rockers back in the day. They can look like bankers, brick-layers, geography teachers, or in a few distinguished instances, mad professors. And that’s your lot. If someone tells you’re their cousin Malcolm was in a band, and he definitely looked like a doctor, send ‘em away with a flea in their ear. It’s just not permitted. (You could make out a case for a few of them looking like gnomes, and this is allowed, because gnome is not a profession. They’ll have been gnomes who also laid bricks or arranged mortgages. No question.)

    Anyway, back to the Jimmy Hastings. Turns out his part-time status was because he already had a really solid career as a jazz-man and session player. In a particularly pleasing bit of “who’s coolest now?” he turned up as a side-man on Radiohead’s Amnesiac. (And he still looks exactly the same.)

    Part-time or not, he added a glorious range of fills and backing lines over a bunch of Caravan’s ‘70’s classics. Never in the foreground, but a delight if you can be bothered to listen out for him.

    So – greatest rock flute = Jimmy Hastings? No. Love him ‘though I do, if you’re looking for one moment that nails exactly what the flute is all about – tender, ethereal, fragile and just goddamn pretty, it’s I talk to the Wind by King Crimson – flutes by Ian McDonald. Part of its power is due to what comes immediately before. 21st Century Schizoid Man blindingly sets out KC’s agenda of spending most of the next 50 years scaring us witless. It’s a virtuoso onslaught – a statement of intent like few others. (Here’s another thread – the greatest album #1 side #1 track #1 ever? Like the sound of that.)

    And then the flute arrives. Serene, limpid, perfect. Jimmy H (and dozens more) could probably play Ian Mc off the block, technically. But as a moment that defines what the flute can do in a rock context, this has my vote.

  2. #22
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 55,998
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    Remember Caravan well. Top band in the day they were. Nine feet underground was a long and good in. Had a nice cover.. Pink I think, but can't remember the name of album. Had 3 or 4 of theirs when young
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS/TIDAL - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

    **Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

  3. #23
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Essex

    Posts: 20,351
    I'm openingabottleofwine.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Remember Caravan well. Top band in the day they were. Nine feet underground was a long and good in. Had a nice cover.. Pink I think, but can't remember the name of album. Had 3 or 4 of theirs when young
    'In the Land of Grey and Pink'? (Don't ask me to explain what is meant by the title. ) One of their best though.
    Barry

  4. #24
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 55,998
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    'In the Land of Grey and Pink'? (Don't ask me to explain what is meant by the title. ) One of their best though.
    That's was it . Good memory Barry
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS/TIDAL - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

    **Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

  5. #25
    Join Date: Mar 2014

    Location: Hay-on-Wye

    Posts: 7
    I'm Andrew.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    'In the Land of Grey and Pink'? (Don't ask me to explain what is meant by the title. ) One of their best though.
    Still a favourite of mine. And Deram made nice sounding records back then. I don't know who produced it, but I think it sounds great. It got the Steve Wilson re-master treatment recently, which is fun and interesting in its own way, but in some ways a bit unnecessary. Some remasters dredge clarity out of recordings that came out sounding terminally compressed, messy and murky. Not so in the case of Caravan. The originals still sound fine. Better than fine.

  6. #26
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 55,998
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    Dave Hitchcock who also did Foxtrot
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS/TIDAL - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

    **Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

  7. #27
    Join Date: Apr 2015

    Location: Central Virginia

    Posts: 1,564
    I'm Russell.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TegJ View Post
    Ian Anderson? A unique talent. Special. But let me try to turn your head – and without looking too far from the ‘Tull’s 70’s heyday.

    I got into Caravan absolutely by accident. Back in the 70’s, still at school, I got a copy of the compilation Canterbury Tales in a swap with a mate. I can’t remember what I gave in return, but I know I disliked it enough that I took the Caravan LPs in a swap despite the fact that I’d never heard of them. Anyway, I liked the cover. I was instantly hooked – and love ‘em still.

    Caravan looked pretty much your regulation ‘70’s rock outfit EXCEPT for their mysterious not-quite-a-proper-member Jimmy Hastings – big bruvver of the band’s singer/guitarist Pye Hastings. You could see why they wouldn’t let him join – ‘cos then he’d have to be in the band photos. Even then he looked like a bank manager (the way bank managers used to look – not the spiv-insurance salesmen fresh out of 6th form we have now).

    Note: when trying to describe band members from the 70’s in terms of job roles, very few careers are permitted. This conforms to the same principal that says that when trying to describe the size of a country, the only permissible points of reference are Wales, Ireland and the Isle of Wight. How lucky are we – having these global reference points right on our doorstep? Think how much harder life is for the good people of Memphis, Moscow or Mombai, having to learn about Eire, Cymru or Insula Vectis before being adequately able to explain to visitors quite how effin’ huge their country is? It’s the same with rockers back in the day. They can look like bankers, brick-layers, geography teachers, or in a few distinguished instances, mad professors. And that’s your lot. If someone tells you’re their cousin Malcolm was in a band, and he definitely looked like a doctor, send ‘em away with a flea in their ear. It’s just not permitted. (You could make out a case for a few of them looking like gnomes, and this is allowed, because gnome is not a profession. They’ll have been gnomes who also laid bricks or arranged mortgages. No question.)

    Anyway, back to the Jimmy Hastings. Turns out his part-time status was because he already had a really solid career as a jazz-man and session player. In a particularly pleasing bit of “who’s coolest now?” he turned up as a side-man on Radiohead’s Amnesiac. (And he still looks exactly the same.)

    Part-time or not, he added a glorious range of fills and backing lines over a bunch of Caravan’s ‘70’s classics. Never in the foreground, but a delight if you can be bothered to listen out for him.

    So – greatest rock flute = Jimmy Hastings? No. Love him ‘though I do, if you’re looking for one moment that nails exactly what the flute is all about – tender, ethereal, fragile and just goddamn pretty, it’s I talk to the Wind by King Crimson – flutes by Ian McDonald. Part of its power is due to what comes immediately before. 21st Century Schizoid Man blindingly sets out KC’s agenda of spending most of the next 50 years scaring us witless. It’s a virtuoso onslaught – a statement of intent like few others. (Here’s another thread – the greatest album #1 side #1 track #1 ever? Like the sound of that.)

    And then the flute arrives. Serene, limpid, perfect. Jimmy H (and dozens more) could probably play Ian Mc off the block, technically. But as a moment that defines what the flute can do in a rock context, this has my vote.
    I must confess I am not familiar with Caravan. But, with all of you remembering them so fondly, I’ll be sure to put it on my short list of bands to check out!

    I heard a song just the other day that had the most killer harmonica solo! And I’ve been wracking my brain trying to remember what song it was? It may have been the Stones? It’s hell getting old, being forgetful and all, but next time I hear it, I’ll be sure to make note.

    Russell

  8. #28
    Join Date: Jun 2015

    Location: London/Durham

    Posts: 2,753
    I'm Lawrence.

    Default

    Speaking of flutes there's some lovely flute solos (or at least one I remember) in Voyage of the Acolyte by Steve Hackett.

    Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123



 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •