+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greetings from Sweden

I'm Erik.

Default Greetings from Sweden

Hi,

I have had an interest for music since I was a child and in hifi since I was about 20 years. The balance between music interest and hifi interest has somewhat shifted over the years towards hifi. Now roughly 15 years later I have collected more hifi than I can use and many machines have passed by. I like the odd stuff, especially vintage, and cannot say no to a good deal.

My main speakers which I will hold on to for as long as possible is a pair of Beveridge Model 2-SW. The amps have been overhauled with new components and circuit boards in the high power section. The amps are for Model 2 so it needs an active crossover, the subwoofers haven't any crossover either. Now I have an Infinity IRS crossover but have also used a John Curl designed Symmetry ACS-1. Lately I have found interest in digital crossovers and room correction and picked up a TacT TCS mk1 for a fraction of it's price when new, I haven't started using it though. For preamps I have an Audible Illusions M3A and a Conrad Johnson Premier Two. As I'm a software developer most of my music is consumed digitally from computers, I have several USB-to-SPDIF converters (StahlTech, AR-T, Audiophilleo) and DACs (Metrum Pavane/Hex/Octave, AMR DP-777, EAD TheaterMaster Classic Signature). For small discs I use an Audionet VIP (can also do multichannel into the TacT) and for bigger I have a Technics SP-10 mk2 in a Vinlyista plinth with room for 2 (soon 3) tonearms. Future project is multichannel with a pair of prototype speakers using German Physiks DDD elements as back channels.

A few years back I stumbled over my dream turntable from an aesthetic point of view, as it happened it was even a very rare mk2 version: Marantz TT-1000 Music Link. I ended up buying it along with a full Music Link stack incl phono stage and CD, all in mint condition and with original boxes. Having always felt that the half-size music link series never really did the TT-1000 justice I started to glance at the ones that replaced the music link series, the SC-5/BB-5 preamp and SM-5 stereo amp with more copper and aluminium than anyone would ever need. To make a long story short I now own the SC-5/BB-5 and one SM-5, wanting to add another SM-5 as these can be used as mono blocks and a CD-7 as this matches the amplification perfectly aesthetically and can be used as a DAC as well. They do make the TT-1000 justice!

For now though I'm mostly listening through a pair of Stax Omega mk2 as I have a soon to be 2 year old son being everywhere, all the other stuff is more or less in storage but will soon be playing again.

My musical taste is very mixed but mainly based in Jazz I would say, but a lot of singer/songwriter, classical, folk, pop, rock and blues. New discoveries for me are Luke-Sital Singh and Roo Panes. Old time favorites are Ane Brun and Ani DiFranco. I'm also very fond of the Swedish bass player Lars Danielsson and finnish pianist Iiro Rantala. Of course the late Esbjörn Svensson will be forever missed, I'm so happy I got to see him live!

That's a lot more than I intended to write!
    /Erik

I'm Geoff.

Hello Erik. Welcome to AOS.

Beveridge speakers were interesting. You don't hear much mention of them these days. Perhaps you'd like to feature them in our Gallery section? I'm sure folks would like to see them.

Join in the chat and get involved, it's a friendly place.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AoS
    Regards Neil

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Erik,

Great introduction! Yes, the Beverage speakers are a rare beast, now the design is extinct as I believe Beverage died without passing on the production rights to anyone else. So cherish yours.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Last edited by Barry; 07-05-2019 at 19:26. Reason: spelling
    Barry

I'm Raphael.

Hej Erik,

Welcome to AoS - You have interesting equipment that I must admit I am not particularly familiar with.

On the music front your were lucky to get to see Esbjörn Svensson - as you say, he will be forever missed. Maybe you know the trio led by Avishai Cohen with Shai Maestro on piano and Mark Guiliana on drums - try the album 'Gently Disturbed' - in some ways similar........

Lars Danielsson I know - I worked for a time in Sweden but didn't get to hear as many bands as I would have liked - he frequently has very good musicians playing with him - I suggest Paolo Fresu & Omar Sosa - 'Eros' album and several others by Fresu - if somewhat reminiscent of his ( Fresu's ) earlier recordings this has some interesting recording /mastering techniques and works well with a nice hifi.

Finally if you like this type of jazz, Takuya Kuroda - probably the 'Rising Sun' album first.....you may also like

Enjoy AoS - there is so much here about equipment, technically, musically .... enjoy!

Kind rgds,

I'm Erik.

Thanks everyone! A quick question, am I supposed to be able to send a private message to someone else yet? Looks like I can't and that one of you need to activate some functions for me or something? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Beveridge speakers were interesting. You don't hear much mention of them these days. Perhaps you'd like to feature them in our Gallery section? I'm sure folks would like to see them.
    Thanks! I will try to add pictures once I'm up and running again.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Great introduction! Yes, the Beverage speakers are a rare beast, now the design is extinct as I believe Beverage died without passing on the production rights to anyone else. So cherish yours.
    Not quite! I think his sons continued production and service, at least one of them Rick did and maybe still does? For more info check out http://bevaudio.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxjr View Post
    On the music front your were lucky to get to see Esbjörn Svensson - as you say, he will be forever missed. Maybe you know the trio led by Avishai Cohen with Shai Maestro on piano and Mark Guiliana on drums - try the album 'Gently Disturbed' - in some ways similar........

Lars Danielsson I know - I worked for a time in Sweden but didn't get to hear as many bands as I would have liked - he frequently has very good musicians playing with him - I suggest Paolo Fresu & Omar Sosa - 'Eros' album and several others by Fresu - if somewhat reminiscent of his ( Fresu's ) earlier recordings this has some interesting recording /mastering techniques and works well with a nice hifi.

Finally if you like this type of jazz, Takuya Kuroda - probably the 'Rising Sun' album first.....you may also like
    Thanks for all the tips! I'm very fond of Avishai Cohen as well. First live experience of him was shortly after the release of Continuo (my favorite of his records still!) but with the above mentioned trio lineup (his best as well!), I was struck by the explosiveness of Guiliana! I have seen Paolo Fresu with Jan Lundgren and Richard Galliano live so I keep track of Paolos records also! I have not come across Kuroda so I will him out right away! Thanks again!

/Erik
    Last edited by Erik_Norell; 08-05-2019 at 22:18.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

You need to make a minimum of 5 posts before you can use PMs. So only 2 more to go.

Thanks for the Beverage link. Very interesting - good to know these excellent electrostatics can still be serviced.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread