+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sound Size

I'm Martin.

Technically speaking everything going on in the soundstage should be happening behind the plane of the speakers. Vocalists should not be 'Right out on the carpet in front of me', as many a flat earth reviewer used to say in praise. Maybe they still do. But then it's horses for courses isn't it?

Plus you've got the recordings. I've got some jazz and big band recordings from the 1940s and 1950s and some of them are mixed a bit heavy handed. Most professional stuff late sixties and on, everything should be in the right perspective on the soundstage. Artistic decisions excepted of course.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

On voice even a recoding using a Blumlein pair is a compromise, an illusion.

Much of the reproduced sound comes unnaturally from two wide sources, and the stereo effect is designed to fool the ear/brain using phase, and time delay, and IMO that rarely is effective if the vocalist is centred.

The worst giveaway is that sibilants come very definitely from each speaker, top being perceived as more directional, and so in the middle of a vocal phrase suddenly there is a bust of esses coming quite clearly as separate entities one from each speaker. This is a logistical failing of recordings only able to be overcome by having a singer to one side, and removing a bit of top from the other in the mix.

I'm Martin.

I don't know. Getting the speakers to 'disappear' I've found has tended to be more about reducing noise and distortion at every point in the chain - including the speakers. Room and positioning have been secondary to that by a fair margin.

This was the best imaging speaker I ever heard. Forget your horns and electrostatics. I did not realise how much spatial information could possibly be on a recording until these:

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Technically speaking everything going on in the soundstage should be happening behind the plane of the speakers. Vocalists should not be 'Right out on the carpet in front of me', as many a flat earth reviewer used to say in praise. Maybe they still do. But then it's horses for courses isn't it?

Plus you've got the recordings. I've got some jazz and big band recordings from the 1940s and 1950s and some of them are mixed a bit heavy handed. Most professional stuff late sixties and on, everything should be in the right perspective on the soundstage. Artistic decisions excepted of course.
    If the soundstage is happening solely behind the plane of the speakers as suggested, your partnering equipment is losing important spatial information
    the usual culprit being the preamp or attenuator,

The soundstage in a really good system will be akin to a sphere allowing forward backward and height information. A test is Los Endos
    Genesis Trick of the Tail- listen to where Phil Collins voice projects from, saying " there's an angel standing in the Sun, freed to get back home"
    ( continuing a similar vocal from Suppers Ready for the Genesis aficionado )

I'm Andrew.

99.9% of the time I sit and listen to what I feel is a believable sonic landscape. Occasionally there will be an anomaly like drums appearing too wide for one man to play them or a guitar being played by a vocalist and the voice and guitar seeming to come from two different places. These are recording issues though. Usually I am happy with the illusion. It’s amazing really to have an orchestra or a guitar vocalist in your room. I suppose there has to be a little compromise somewhere. It was perhaps misleading of me to focus on vocals. I don’t think it is that they are too forward or not placed in the correct space. It is literally the size of the sound. Quite difficult to describe and much easier to experience. It is only noticeable when you have someone in front of you at the same time as the music that the scale of the two doesn’t quite fit, shut your eyes and the issue goes away. I think the whole sound is big. Oddly it was what I liked about the Magisters, the scale of the sound. It probably gets exaggerated when the music is louder. No real issue, I can always close my eyes!

I'm Steve.

No sound stage is bigger than Mrs. Pony. If she stands in front of the speakers it all goes quiet.. Please don't tell her I said that.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    No sound stage is bigger than Mrs. Pony. If she stands in front of the speakers it all goes quiet.. Please don't tell her I said that.
    ooo, thats blackmail-ible

i wouldnt say that about the wife and shes dead she'd get me
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I don't know. Getting the speakers to 'disappear' I've found has tended to be more about reducing noise and distortion at every point in the chain - including the speakers. Room and positioning have been secondary to that by a fair margin.

This was the best imaging speaker I ever heard. Forget your horns and electrostatics. I did not realise how much spatial information could possibly be on a recording until these:

Open baffles rule OK
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Re' 'soundstaging', I'm a believer in what the late Peter Walker of Quad used to say:

"Somewhere near the plane of your speakers and beyond, the walls of your listening room should appear to disappear and be replaced with the walls of the recording venue."

I dislike systems in which the performers appear to be playing in your listening room. It should be a case not of 'they are here', but of 'you are there'.
    Barry

I'm Dennis.

I'm very pleased that what Peter Walker said is pretty well what I said in '72, and have been saying ever since, but of course the recording's acoustic is superimposed on the listening room acoustic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast