+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound Size

I'm Andrew.

Default Sound Size

Not something I’ve seen discussed. My other half was between the speakers the other night. I realised the sound was bigger than her, like vocals were coming from a giant head. I suppose it it relates to sound stage etc. I wouldn’t have noticed had she not been there and when I am on my own there is no context. Has anyone else noticed this?

I'm Grant.

Gap tape sorts all
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Were you playing the vocals loudly?
    Barry

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    My other half was between the speakers the other night
    If someone was between my speakers I'd ask them kindly to step aside..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm matt.

What speakers are they?

I'm Andrew.

Well, they started out as Goodmans Magisters. They were playing quite loud. But now I’m aware of it, it happens when it’s quite too. Quiet.

I'm Andrew.

Worth an experiment for anybody interested.

I'm Martin.

Going to be recording dependant to an extent. What were you listening to?

I've had set ups where the vocalist or featured instrument has been too forward and eclipses all else, and set ups where it sounds like they or it is two towns over. Usually it was a combination of things that was the problem. Not that I'm saying it is a problem if that's how you like it. It bugs me though. I recall a bloke saying to me at a show one time that he didn't like a particular horn speaker system because the images were 'Too big.' I didn't get that at the time but I went back and had another listen and he was right.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I can't say I'd like any part of the music to be too far 'forward' as that wouldn't sound natural to me... just my thoughts though..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    Not something I’ve seen discussed. My other half was between the speakers the other night. I realised the sound was bigger than her, like vocals were coming from a giant head. I suppose it it relates to sound stage etc. I wouldn’t have noticed had she not been there and when I am on my own there is no context. Has anyone else noticed this?
    There are numerous variables leading to a less or best soundstage. Rob's picture introduction here shows some of these variables https://robmid42.wixsite.com/diyaudiokits

In my own room I have speakers 800mm from the floor, 700mm from the rear wall and 500 from the side.
    Achieving realistic depth and perspective can be done and involves very good matching of partnering equipment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast