+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speakers for a large room?

I'm Tim.

Default Speakers for a large room?

I am thinking about upgrading my speakers at home. My music system is now located in a much larger open plan space, measuring roughly 10m x 8m by 3m (c 8500 cubic feet!) which is not a perfect rectangle. The kit is located about halfway down the long side and faces slightly away from centre into a sitting area. This is not a dedicated listening space, but I will listen to plenty of music either seated or whilst working in the kitchen.

I have a system of Cymbol separates (see below) designed by Tony Brady, formerly Onix and now Exposure, plus B&W 603 S2 floorstanders. The Cymbols sound (and look!) great, as do the B&Ws, but I am wondering if a different set of speakers might fill the space better. I get 60w output from the amps currently but I am in the process of picking up a second so I can bi-amp my speakers. I get a very easy sound to listen to at the moment: warm but detailed and a bit of heft when required. I have a pretty eclectic taste in music, listening to classical/choral as well as jazz/rock/pop.

I would appreciate any thoughts on speakers which might fill my space. They need to be relatively easy to drive and able to cope with a broad range of music. I’ve been recommended Spendor SP2/3R2s, but I’ve not been able to track any down. Any other ideas?

System:
    Cymbol CDP6 CD player
    Cymbol CDAB1 DAB tuner
    Cymbol CA3 integrated amp
    Cymbol CP3 power amp
    B&W 603 S2 speakers

I'm Lawrence.

Not sure about the 603s' sensitivity, but if I wanted to play music loud in a large room with most modern speakers I'd be looking at 120-150wpc to have plenty of headroom on dynamic passages myself. If they're 90db plus then maybe not.

Edit: realised you said you're getting a second amp, I'd wait to get that to see how the 603s sound if you fundamentally like their sound.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Dennis.

I was offered a job with Cymbol in '97, but it never materialised even though I went with them to the Hi-Fi News show.
    They went broke I think.

I repaired a power amp at my interview, and wasn't particularly impressed with it.

It is my opinion that you should buy amps to drive speakers after choosing speakers, because they determine the requirements of an amp to a great extent.

I'm John.

There's a nice air of Impulse H2s for sale on the WAM.
    https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/1...fs-impulse-h2/

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    There's a nice air of Impulse H2s for sale on the WAM.
    https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/1...fs-impulse-h2/
    Yes they do look good and a very good price, usually go for around £1.5k in good condition
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Big room, twice the size of mine, you could do anything in that.

Don't waste money bi-amping though!

Don't know what the budget is but I'd start with big Tannoys or JBLs and then work backwards. If you've got the cash JBL 4365 would be killer in that room.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Timothy.

That is a pretty huge space overall. I guess it would depend on your expectations, but I am with Macca, find something that is decently efficient/easy to drive and has the capability of moving some air. Obviously you have to like whatever speaker you chose, so the efficiency thing is only part of the equation. Have fun, could be an interesting journey!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Adam.

Sounds like the ideal sort of room for a pair of Goebel Divin Majestics...

http://goebel-highend.de/products/divin-majestic.html
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Phil.

some nice tannoy stirling be good or even kensington if you have a spare 8-10k !!

https://www.audioemotion.co.uk/tanno...kers-452-p.asp
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Sounds like the ideal sort of room for a pair of Goebel Divin Majestics...

http://goebel-highend.de/products/divin-majestic.html
    Fugly!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast