+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HMS Belfast

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Al View Post
    She was fast too being able to steam at 32 knots, quick in her time.

Blimey that is quick , My Hardy does 26 knots , I thought that was fast but obviously not
    She was designed to chase down other ships but stability wasn't so good. I remember dad saying it took him a few days to settle as she did roll a bit. He used to take himself on deck by a funnel with a loaf of bread. I wish he was still with us, I'd love to hear his stories now.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Grant.

An old nate of mine was on the destroyers during ww2. Mostly Russian convoys in second half.
    He missed his ship as he caught something and was hospitalised.
    His ship hit a mine and went down with most hands.
    A second time he was transferred to another ship and the one he just came off got torpedoed and blew up..
    Someone was watchng over him or he was jinx lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Sounds like he was lucky not to be on board HMS Pandora in 1942...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Pandora_(N42)

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
    Yes your right Lawrence, I read that yesterday. He never really went into detail about his naval career but what I can remember is interesting. He fell in love with Japan but came home for mum, he never did go back sadly.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Cables
    Headphones

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Went on the HMS Belfast in February with the family - they weren't especially keen, but we all found it incredibly interesting, so much that we're planning another visit. Unbelievable conditions compared to our comfortable lives today but the camaraderie must have been incredible. Respect to your Dad, Ian, and great model.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    I'm not entirely sure of the pattern Martin, it looks like the Atlantic pattern but the colours are wrong. I followed the guide that came with the kit but I can change colours if the guide proves to be wrong. It was a fiddly bugger to make, I think the moulds are quite worn as there was a lot of excess plastic to clean off. There is another model from Japan that is a lot bigger, I might have a go at that next......while listening to music of course.
    Looks like it might be from the old AirFix mold. I have a 1 72 scale Flower Class Corvette sitting in the roofspace that I should build someday, big kit though. Havent built a midel in at least 7 years.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Went on the HMS Belfast in February with the family - they weren't especially keen, but we all found it incredibly interesting, so much that we're planning another visit. Unbelievable conditions compared to our comfortable lives today but the camaraderie must have been incredible. Respect to your Dad, Ian, and great model.
    Yes indeed. Hello stranger
    Regards Neil

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    Looks like it might be from the old AirFix mold. I have a 1 72 scale Flower Class Corvette sitting in the roofspace that I should build someday, big kit though. Havent built a midel in at least 7 years.
    Reminds me of The Cruel Sea, one of my favourite films.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Reminds me of The Cruel Sea, one of my favourite films.

Yes one of mine as well. As is In Which We Serve also. The kit I have is the matchbox one, bit of a collectable now.
    Regards Neil

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    Looks like it might be from the old AirFix mold. I have a 1 72 scale Flower Class Corvette sitting in the roofspace that I should build someday, big kit though.
    By a strange coincidence, so do I (though mine's in the wardrobe). I bought it to make for my father, who served on Flower Class corvettes during WWII, but sadly he died shortly after I bought it, and I haven't been able to face building it.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    By a strange coincidence, so do I (though mine's in the wardrobe). I bought it to make for my father, who served on Flower Class corvettes during WWII, but sadly he died shortly after I bought it, and I haven't been able to face building it.
    I'm very sorry for your loss and I really do understand what you mean. All the time I was building the model I kept thinking about my dad and what he and his crewmates must have gone through. I hope you do build your model someday.
    Turntable
    CD
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Speakers
    Cables
    Headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast