+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Adventures of the ElectroNumpty DCB1

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Small point, your point 3 - they aren't signal caps they are bypass caps for the regulators.
    Great pics.
    Thanks for the correction!

Just underlining my Electronumpty credentials like!
    At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

I'm John.

[QUOTE=smangus;1085119]
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Great pictures EN! Any chance of some flowery waffle about the differences in sound after changing each component?/QUOTE]

Not sure I'm up to "flowery waffle" But I intend to add some "pithy observations" about each change once they have bedded in yes!
    Pithy’s good.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    You need one! They are really great
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Hi Edward
    Yes you could dispense with the switch and attenuator, and instead fit your LDR boards, or better get me to make you another set.
    I really need to have a bake off between the DCB1 and the LDR to establish the differences. I'm very pleased with the revamped LDR I have, Lawrence mentioned that he has a DCB1 so maybe soon he and I can have a bake off.

Well done Andy for keep pushing the envelope on your DCB1 build. Very inspiring.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Thanks Edward

If you ever in south east London you're welcome to have a listen.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

OK some early pithy observations

Been listening to this quite a lot over the last couple of days. the difference in quality was immediately noticeable - more detail , sweeter treble with a longer decay and also more and deeper bass. The last is good as 1 slight niggle I had was that the previous iteration of the DCB1 did not do bass lower down the register too well. If anything it sounded (very, very slightly) lean. However this is obviously due to the budget attenuator that was previously fitted, as it is there now which is great seeing as I listen to a lot of rock and reggae.

The sound has "rounded off" slightly after a bit of use but with no loss of detail and the decay on the higher notes is longer than it was before fitting. I would say that overall (so far) it has introduced an element of clarity but without losing any musicality which is really nice.

Especially as the DCB1 was not lacking in clarity before, it makes me wonder how far you can take this thing without mucking about with the current available to it again (which I won't be doing, happy at 700-800 ma or so).

It's also a pleasure to use as the action is smoother and also it has 41 steps rather than the 23 the other switch had. At £140 odd it's not cheap, was it worth it from my POV - absolutely!!

Its showing some real drive and dynamics as well, again no that it was lacking before.

I'll add some more thoughts later down the line when played in a bit but all good so far.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    OK some early pithy observations

Been listening to this quite a lot over the last couple of days. the difference in quality was immediately noticeable - more detail , sweeter treble with a longer decay and also more and deeper bass. The last is good as 1 slight niggle I had was that the previous iteration of the DCB1 did not do bass lower down the register too well. If anything it sounded (very, very slightly) lean. However this is obviously due to the budget attenuator that was previously fitted, as it is there now which is great seeing as I listen to a lot of rock and reggae.

The sound has "rounded off" slightly after a bit of use but with no loss of detail and the decay on the higher notes is longer than it was before fitting. I would say that overall (so far) it has introduced an element of clarity but without losing any musicality which is really nice.

Especially as the DCB1 was not lacking in clarity before, it makes me wonder how far you can take this thing without mucking about with the current available to it again (which I won't be doing, happy at 700-800 ma or so).

It's also a pleasure to use as the action is smoother and also it has 41 steps rather than the 23 the other switch had. At £140 odd it's not cheap, was it worth it from my POV - absolutely!!

Its showing some real drive and dynamics as well, again no that it was lacking before.

I'll add some more thoughts later down the line when played in a bit but all good so far.
    When you get to 1.2A it's all about finesse. It doesn't change its lack of any imposing colour or character, Instead, you get refinement and intricacies that were there before, just in less space. Vocals hang In mid air and it's all about the miniscule details that give the soundstage its scope.

I understand the reluctance to tinker more, but I'd 100% recommend Audio Note Tantalum resistors and getting to 1.2A.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    When you get to 1.2A it's all about finesse. It doesn't change its lack of any imposing colour or character, Instead, you get refinement and intricacies that were there before, just in less space. Vocals hang In mid air and it's all about the miniscule details that give the soundstage its scope.

I understand the reluctance to tinker more, but I'd 100% recommend Audio Note Tantalum resistors and getting to 1.2A.
    Well thats an intriguing description, . I have the Tantalums already as for the rest it's not on my list but never say never ! lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Well thats an intriguing description, . I have the Tantalums already as for the rest it's not on my list but never say never ! lol

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Got the power supply caps , Mundorfs about £40 and 2 Audio note Kaseis at about £4 each so thought why not.

Have to find time to fit them though lol . Might be able to today but a lot of other things lined up to thwart me!

Bigman80 Guest

Got the power supply caps , Mundorfs about £40 and 2 Audio note Kaseis at about £4 each so thought why not.

Have to find time to fit them though lol . Might be able to today but a lot of other things lined up to thwart me!

Nice! I love a bit of bling lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast