At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

Bigman80 Guest

You're getting into this aren't you lol

Great to see. Well done.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    You're getting into this aren't you lol

Great to see. Well done.
    yeah , that'll be it for a while now though as I have a room decorate lol. Will enjoy this for a couple of months now unmolested! Btw 1st impressions- a massive improvement in soundstage, wider and deeper. Didn't expect that at all.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    yeah , that'll be it for a while now though as I have a room decorate lol. Will enjoy this for a couple of months now unmolested! Btw 1st impressions- a massive improvement in soundstage, wider and deeper. Didn't expect that at all.

Lol, good caps will do that.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Ok so a round up now of the changes , I have considered further turboing to 1.2 ma but am happy where I am so will leave it for the meantime and enjoy it . Sounds great and a summery of the changes is below

All changes were made at the original spec values for the components so it was a straight swap with better quality parts to evaluate them.

1) power caps changed to Mundorf -

Quieter background, "blacker", certainly noticeable. Smoother and deeper bass which is also more tuneful and better defined Not a subtle change overall. Cost - about £40

2) Valab MKP bypass caps -

Bought these on impulse really at the price couldn't not! Metallised polys.

Clearer and more detailed , nice sound and really good value at £3 each! A no brainer if you are on a budget as a replacement for the Wimas.

3) Audio note tantalum resisters - non magnetic

Take a while to run in but have a treble effect which is nice and smooth, in comparison the Vishay's had a slight glare and harshness which has gone now. About £60 for 8 so not too cheap.

4) Teflon V Caps by pass caps.

Immediately noticed a massive shift in the sound stage , wider , deeper, everything in comparison to what went before. I was really surprised with this and took a bit of getting used to, but I like it.

The detail is clearer, very defined and "hifi" like so may not be to everyone's taste but, again, I like it.

Apparently they take a long time to run in , I bought them second hand (80 quid) so have no idea how much use they have had. Last week I noticed a change in the sound as it became smoother and slightly less defined but with the same amount of detail etc . This sounds contrary but is the only way I can describe it, so maybe they have reached their sweet spot now and it's good . about £130 new so not cheap.

There you go, I hope anyone reading and thinking about a DCB1 build/upgrade now has an idea of what changes might affect the sound and that anybody else has enjoyed the thread.

I would say the biggest bang for buck would be the Valab caps at £6 a pair, next would be the power cap upgrade , these really made a big difference.

Cheers all!

PS I seem to be embroiled in a phono stage affair now!

Bigman80 Guest

Addictive isn't it!

Yep, tantalum are suited to my ears too. Love the effect they had.

I'll try some new caps where you put the mundorf but they won't be mundorf. I'm no longer a fan.

Obbligato in the Valab position for me but agree that £3 per cap is a great price and I dont doubt you. I like Valab stuff.

Well done Andy.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Addictive isn't it!

Yep, tantalum are suited to my ears too. Love the effect they had.

I'll try some new caps where you put the mundorf but they won't be mundorf. I'm no longer a fan.

Obbligato in the Valab position for me but agree that £3 per cap is a great price and I dont doubt you. I like Valab stuff.

Well done Andy.
    Thanks

Curious as to why you don't like Mundorfs now and what you will use instead?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    Thanks

Curious as to why you don't like Mundorfs now and what you will use instead?

I have used them a few times and always ended up taking them off.

IMHO, they are too smooth and they seem to rob the LF of some bass detail. It's not always immediately obvious but I seemed to notice it more and more as time goes on.

That's happened in everything I've used them in. The Jolida, The OTP, the BigBottle

I'm not saying they are bad, far from it but i can't live with them long term.

Alternatives, I haven't really delved too hard into what's out there but I had success, in terms of Improvment, to my ears using the Kaisei from AN

They have recently also been described as too smooth and I think that could be true which is why I ended up looking into the 686 amplifier.

Macca and I are going to fit some bog standard caps in his Krell and see if his suspicion is right. I think it could be.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Ah ok thanks , haven't noticed that myself (yet). I did look at Kaiseis but it would have cost £160 for 4 in the power supply and I couldn't really justify it without knowing what the change would bring.

I did use 2 for the smaller caps though.

Happy with the Mundorfs though so a personal thing I guess, as always!

What I do know is that better power supply caps gave ne less background noise So whatever the brand an upgrade is worth thinking about!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast